The Walking Dead

For discussing TV series
kuroukage

Re: The Walking Dead

Post by kuroukage » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:54 pm

The third season has been excellent once it got going on episode 2. Looking forward to the final half of it starting on the 10th! The samurai chick is just too badass. My new favorite character now. :)
黒影
_______________________________________________|_._._._._._._._._._
\______________________________________________|_#_#_#_#_#_#_|
------------------------------------------------------------------|---------------------

SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:28 pm

Yep totally agree!

gottoast

Post by gottoast » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:45 am

Her & the Governor were probably the top 2 fan favorites from the graphic novel, Michonne is more accurately played in the show compared to the Governor, tho I do like who they cast for him. 2 good reads if you like books are "Rise of the Governor" & "Road to Woodbury", both are excellent, Rise of the Governor my fav of the 2. Gives an awesome story of the Governor and how he came to be.
,____
||_|__\\__
|(0)___(o)|

kuroukage

Post by kuroukage » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:38 am

How is the Governor different from the novels vs. TV? Is he more evil?
黒影
------------------------------------------------------------------|---------------------

gottoast

Post by gottoast » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:29 am

Yes, much more evil and he's part Hispanic (Mexican-Irish decent) described as having black hair and a jet black fu manchu mustache. I would have thought the crazy prisoner Rick killed fit his description better than who they cast for him in the show. The show hasn't come close to portraying how REALLY messed up the dude is... or his biggest secret :shock:
,____
||_|__\\__
|(0)___(o)|

kuroukage

Post by kuroukage » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:51 am

gottoast wrote:The show hasn't come close to portraying how REALLY messed up the dude is... or his biggest secret :shock:
Well, the TV show doesn't shy away from portraying him to be a pretty evil character. The walker's heads in fish tanks, the arena, the walkers he keeps in cages (for experiments and the arena) and him keeping his walker daughter locked in a cage (so he can brush her hair and feed her) already makes him look like a pretty seriously insane/evil bad guy. What's missing from the TV show that the comic has? Or would it be too spoilery and best to wait till the end of Season 3 to discuss it? :P
黒影

gottoast

Post by gottoast » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:36 am

I think in the post apocalyptic world you can get zombie head fish tanks @ Walmart :lol: Not sure where they're going with season 3, looks like he's going to become a pirate, now known as the Govenarrrrr LOL.
Rick, his family and Shane are about the only tv characters you get a lot of back story on so you understand them better, why they are the way they are. It's hard to grasp the governor's character through just the tv show and I don't know if they will try or how they could at this point in his character. Am interested in if they revel his biggest secret this season (which is told in the book Rise of the Governor) or even touch on it since it doesn't much matter without the back story.... was that his daughter he kept chained up? Where he keeps her in the book is also much more gory and disgusting sounding. He also rapes Michonne in the comic, I thought they were going to change that to Maggie in the show the way that one episode was going :shock: but it seems they've shied away from that part of him.

Other differences;
  • TV the Governor loses his right eye during the fight with Michonne, in the Comic he lost his left.
  • TV he suffered much less damage from Michonne in the fight, he only lost an eye, in the Comic Series he lost an eye, arm, ear, and had his nuts nailed to a 2x4 :o
,____
||_|__\\__
|(0)___(o)|

kuroukage

Post by kuroukage » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:59 am

gottoast wrote:looks like he's going to become a pirate, now known as the Govenarrrrr LOL.
LOL that made me laugh after I saw the picture you posted above.
gottoast wrote:It's hard to grasp the governor's character through just the tv show and I don't know if they will try or how they could at this point in his character.
Well only half a season is over. They have about 6-8 episodes left. I think that would be enough time to squeeze in more backstory on him, no? Or is it already too far along in the arc for them to do that?
gottoast wrote:was that his daughter he kept chained up? Where he keeps her in the book is also much more gory and disgusting sounding.
Yep, remember when he's singing to her and brushing her hair. Also, Michonne was watching him through the window as he was doing it.

Speaking of Michonne. Do they do much backstory on her in the comics? I'd really like to know how she became such a badass samurai.
gottoast wrote:He also rapes Michonne in the comic
Yeah, I don't think they're going to show that on a regular old cable TV station. They save that for HBO and the like. :P
gottoast wrote:Other differences;
  • TV the Governor loses his right eye during the fight with Michonne, in the Comic he lost his left.
  • TV he suffered much less damage from Michonne in the fight, he only lost an eye, in the Comic Series he lost an eye, arm, ear, and had his nuts nailed to a 2x4 :o
Well, which eye he loses isn't that big of a deal. But missing the major backstory on the Gov. and them changing certain things in the TV show I'm sure will affect how the rest of this season goes. They've already lost two showrunners because he (the writer of the comics) didn't like the creative direction in which they were taking the show. That's why if you remember the first half of season 2 sucked so bad. They were bringing in freelance writers until they got a new permanent writing team. I'm just glad season 3 has been so good. I hope the new showrunner for season 4 doesn't make any stupid mistakes like the original one did (because season 1 was excellent and then after season one Frank Darabont fired the entire writing team).
黒影

gottoast

Post by gottoast » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:32 am

I wrote:was that his daughter he kept chained up?
was more of a rhetorical question :D if that's the way the tv show leaves it I guess so...

Yea, there's more to Michonne, <SPOILER ALERT> like practiced fencing when she was a child which is why she's good with the Katana....
kuroukage wrote:Yeah, I don't think they're going to show that on a regular old cable TV station.
You ever watch American Horror Story Asylum?... They depicted a bunch of messed up stuff on that show and it's on FX! But leaving rape scenes out is probably a good call.

No doubt, love the show and looking forward to the rest of the season. If you've also watched the Talking Dead after show the creators also state the show wasn't supposed to be a play by play of the comic, probably their excuse for taking liberties like they have. Love to see a movie of the recent books, that'd be badass! They've also stated they don't know where it's all going, I'd like to see some plot that at least divulges more cause/cure info. Not since they left the CDC has there been anything :?
,____
||_|__\\__
|(0)___(o)|

kuroukage

Post by kuroukage » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:07 am

gottoast wrote:Yea, there's more to Michonne, <SPOILER ALERT> like practiced fencing when she was a child which is why she's good with the Katana....
What's her whole backstory in the comics? I was reading something else about her being a lawyer and that she talks to her dead husband (when she's alone) to keep her sane. I'm mainly interested in how she became such a badass with the katana though. Like who trained her? Did they show that stuff in the comics? Why was she trained in fencing?
gottoast wrote:You ever watch American Horror Story Asylum?... They depicted a bunch of messed up stuff on that show and it's on FX! But leaving rape scenes out is probably a good call.
Nope, I've never seen that show. I was just saying they usually don't show things like rape on regular cable TV channels (not that they never do). Of course it's okay to show people's heads getting chopped off or shot, but we can't have too much sex on TV! What if a child saw that? :P
gottoast wrote:If you've also watched the Talking Dead after show the creators also state the show wasn't supposed to be a play by play of the comic, probably their excuse for taking liberties like they have.
I've never seen The Talking Dead before, but yeah, they do that with a lot of shows. I heard they changed a lot in Dexter as well, but supposedly for the better. I'm not sure how the hardcore fans of TWD and the writer will feel about it on the TV series if he skews too far off the original books. He seems to have a lot of control over it (which I think is good, since it is his work and knows what general direction he wants it to go in). Which is why I'm guessing so many people have been fired so far. :P
黒影