Best way to watch on tv?

General discussion about Universal Media Server (no support or requests)
sureshot007

Best way to watch on tv?

Post by sureshot007 »

I've been using UMS through my PS3 for a while now, and it's perfect. But I'd like to start accessing UMS from my other 2 tvs. What would be the best* way to accomplish this, in your opinion?

* Best can be subjective, so I'll clarify what I'd like:
- Simple and easy to use, like it is through my PS3 (simple structure, remote control, family understands it already)
- Cheap - I don't want to have to buy another PS3/PS4/Xbox/etc, but I might buy something that is under $50.
- I have access to random old computers, so tossing something together is feasible
- I have a Roku Streaming Stick and Chromecast already (both of which have been less than stellar when it comes to usability)

I just downloaded Plex Server to try and use the Plex Channel on the Roku, and it's pretty terrible in comparison.

So, what do you guys think is the best way to access UMS?
Wolfgan

Re: Best way to watch on tv?

Post by Wolfgan »

If those TVs aren't smart ones, considering your budget you may go to Roku or Raspberry Pi based renderers (some will also suggest chromecast / fire stick type of devices, but those are wifi only and may stress with huge HD files)
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )
sureshot007

Post by sureshot007 »

I have a Chromecast, but having to use my phone to drive it is the really annoying part. I'd rather just plug another computer directly into the tv.

And yes, the tvs are NOT smart tvs.
Muppetman

Post by Muppetman »

The best option right now would be the Fire TV Stick or Fire TV Box. You can side load Kodi on them which supports pretty much everything. Roku is garbage and so is Chromecast. The other option is a WD TV box which also just works with pretty much everything but isn't as stable as the others.