Mkv for non supported TVs

Discuss media renderers like Xbox 360, TVs, smartphones, etc.
mrmustafa

Mkv for non supported TVs

Post by mrmustafa »

Hi,
I am a newbie to this site but I can see a ray of hope to my issue with UMS. I have a Sony Bravia TV which supports DLNA but not .mkv files. Different sites suggest converting those to MP4 or other supported format which is a hassle.
Does UMS have a feature that will allow me to download an mkv file and play it on a non supported TV without needing to convert it (or convert it automatically)?
I tried ffmpeg to convert my files but it is not as fast as many forums claimed it to be.
Thanksss
Wolfgan

Re: Mkv for non supported TVs

Post by Wolfgan »

Yes, UMS will convert it on the fly. Depending on what the video and audio streams inside your mkv are, it may be a simple remuxing (copy the video and audio streams to another container type with little resources needed, ie mp4) or having to transcode one or both streams and remux (if the video needs to be transcoded, that will require a some CPU power server side)
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )
FannieJane

Re: Mkv for non supported TVs

Post by FannieJane »

Smart TV/LED TV/LCD TV can't play all MKV format. No worries, here is the solution:

http://video-tips.jimdo.com/2014/11/19/ ... v-via-usb/