keep dts or dts passtrough

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Gwheel

keep dts or dts passtrough

Post by Gwheel »

hi guys, iam new here and i have kind of a noob question

iam trying to get DTS-HD over my amp using universal media server! i have done this with succes using the option, keep DTS, however there is also an option for 'encoded audio pass-through for AC-3 and DTS, Can anyone please explain to me whats the difference between this option and between the keep DTS and ac3 option, as the last two grey out when pass-through is on? the tooltips say its both lossless so whats different than?

i hope someone can help me! many thanks in advance
ExSport

Re: keep dts or dts passtrough

Post by ExSport »

DTS-HD = no go when talking about PS3.
PS3 doesn't support DTS when DLNA/UPnP is used so it have to be passed directly to external receiver.
For this it is used encapsulation to LPCM stream so PS3 redirects it to receiver = keep DTS option.
Encoded audio pass-through is similar encapsulation but it works also for AC3 audio so decoding is not done in PS3 but in receiver.
Unfortunately you can't encapsulate anything bigger than DTS core due to technical reasons and also there is no MEncoder/FFmpeg version which supports DTS-HD. Always only core is used when audio manipulation is done with help of MEncoder/FFmpeg.
Gwheel

Post by Gwheel »

i understand, but iam using the sony bdp-s7200, not a ps3. it plays dts-hd master perfectly, not only core,
so from what i understand, for the quality theres no difference in options? with both option the DTS-HD-MASTER lite is on?

and you are right, ffmpeg reduces the master track to core, but TSmuxer does not!
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

Yes, remuxing should remux audio stream as is so complete DTS-HD if it is supported by renderer. Any FFmpeg/MEncoder manipulation with audio will restrict it to DTS core only as they have no DTS-HD decoder. Only what I found in past was that TrueHD is supported from HD audio streams.