Do not transcode external subs

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
lebbersmurf

Do not transcode external subs

Post by lebbersmurf »

Hello everybody,

I have spending some hours to look around on the internet for a solution but till now it s hard to find. Maybe this forum can help me. If there were related cases already described in this forum please specify.
So, what am i doing exactly?

1) I have installed UMS version 5.1.3 on my laptop.
2) I am using Popcorn Time to watch movies. The file created is an MP4 format. External subs are also present in the srt.format.
3) I stream this to my Playstation 3.
4) Without the subs the movies are playing well and important to me ; the CPU usage is low :)
5) When enabling the external subs, the movies are also playing well and the subs are ok but my laptop is heating because of CPU usage more than 95%

So far i discovered when enabling the subs, the whole mp4 file and srt file is transcoded which is a very heavy thing to do for the processors. Engine used is FFmpeg.

Is there a solution (other engine, seperate stream for soft subs ...) possible so transcoding is not executed when enabling srt subs?
ExSport

Re: Do not transcode external subs

Post by ExSport »

It depends on renderer (Popcorn, PS3,...)
If renderer supports subs natively, no transcoding is done, Support is defined in renderer.conf files.
As PS3 doesn't support any subs, UMS have to burn subs = 95% CPU usage.
If e.g. Popcorn supports external, internal or both subs and support is correctly set in renderer conf, UMS will send subs as a separate stream so no transcoding required.
iris651

Re: Do not transcode external subs

Post by iris651 »

The only real solution in my opinion, it's that you gonna mux mp4 and srt files into mkv, and then stream mkv itself.