VOB files stuttering

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
bryantjopplin

VOB files stuttering

Post by bryantjopplin »

I have tons of dvd vob files that play just fine when they aren't being transcoded but when they are even on a 866mps wireless ac connection and wired connection they are stuttering. Every other file I have plays fine, it just seems the transcoding for the vob files aren't up to par. Thanks.

Edit: I guess I should have said I have noticed this in like all of 4.0 and 5.0 with 6.0 alpha. I have a i7-4770 and 16gb of ram. Read that it could be the encoder introduced in that updated sb42 or 43 cant remember.
Wolfgan

Re: VOB files stuttering

Post by Wolfgan »

Blind guessing if you don't provide more info, as stated in red above viewtopic.php?f=9&t=556
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )
bryantjopplin

Post by bryantjopplin »

I don't think it's a bug is why I was asking. Just wondering if I missed a step.
bryantjopplin

Post by bryantjopplin »

Wolfgan wrote:Blind guessing if you don't provide more info, as stated in red above viewtopic.php?f=9&t=556
ums_dbg.zip
(177.63 KiB) Downloaded 496 times
Here is the log.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I don't know if this has anything to do with stuttering, but we've gotten a tip that

Code: Select all

container == iso :: -nosync
causes synchronization issues for DVD ISO's.

You could try to change it, or tinker with the transcoder settings by going to "Transcoder Settings" -> MEncoder -> Codec-specific settings. Since you can't "remove" a setting from the default, you have to disable "Use application defaults" and then paste the other lines under "Custom parameters":

(container == avi || container == matroska) && vcodec == mpeg4 && acodec == mp3 :: -mc 0.1
container == flv :: -mc 0.1
container == mov :: -mc 0.1
container == rm  :: -mc 0.1
container == mp4 && vcodec == h264 :: -mc 0.1
This is a shot in the dark, but it could be worth trying.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Looking at your configuration, I see

maximum_bitrate =15
Try setting this to zero.
bryantjopplin

Post by bryantjopplin »

Nadahar wrote:Looking at your configuration, I see

maximum_bitrate =15
Try setting this to zero.
I had it at zero. Just was trying different strings to troubleshoot. I will try the other when I get home.
Thanks
bryantjopplin

Post by bryantjopplin »

Nadahar wrote:I don't know if this has anything to do with stuttering, but we've gotten a tip that

container == iso :: -nosync
causes synchronization issues for DVD ISO's.

You could try to change it, or tinker with the transcoder settings by going to "Transcoder Settings" -> MEncoder -> Codec-specific settings. Since you can't "remove" a setting from the default, you have to disable "Use application defaults" and then paste the other lines under "Custom parameters":

(container == avi || container == matroska) && vcodec == mpeg4 && acodec == mp3 :: -mc 0.1
container == flv :: -mc 0.1
container == mov :: -mc 0.1
container == rm  :: -mc 0.1
container == mp4 && vcodec == h264 :: -mc 0.1

This is a shot in the dark, but it could be worth trying.

Ok the stuttering isnt as bad but about 5 minutes in it stops playing. here is the log
ums_dbg.zip
(160.71 KiB) Downloaded 473 times
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I'm simply in over my head here, I know very little about this and just remembered someone else saying that this parameter broke DVD ISO playback. The only thing I know is that these lines is thrown constantly during playback:

DEBUG 2016-01-10 15:22:42.037 [mencoder.exe-14-2] net.pms.io.OutputTextLogger [mpeg2video @ 00ea8940]rc buffer underflow
DEBUG 2016-01-10 15:22:42.037 [mencoder.exe-14-2] net.pms.io.OutputTextLogger [mpeg2video @ 00ea8940]max bitrate possibly too small or try trellis with large lmax or increase qmax
Whatever buffer "rc" is, I'm pretty sure that's the reason it stutters. You'll just have to wait until someone that knows more about this than me comes along.
bryantjopplin

Post by bryantjopplin »

Nadahar wrote:I'm simply in over my head here, I know very little about this and just remembered someone else saying that this parameter broke DVD ISO playback. The only thing I know is that these lines is thrown constantly during playback:

DEBUG 2016-01-10 15:22:42.037 [mencoder.exe-14-2] net.pms.io.OutputTextLogger [mpeg2video @ 00ea8940]rc buffer underflow
DEBUG 2016-01-10 15:22:42.037 [mencoder.exe-14-2] net.pms.io.OutputTextLogger [mpeg2video @ 00ea8940]max bitrate possibly too small or try trellis with large lmax or increase qmax
Whatever buffer "rc" is, I'm pretty sure that's the reason it stutters. You'll just have to wait until someone that knows more about this than me comes along.
im not sure what im missing lol