Possible new 1080p stuttering issue

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Gareee

Possible new 1080p stuttering issue

Post by Gareee »

We get about 104 peak streaming on our home wireless system, and haven't had any problems with 1080p movies at all to our ps3.

I upraded to the new version a day ago, and just tried to play the 1080p skyfall npw version off usenet, and I started getting stuttering issues, as if there was not enough bandwidh available. (I'm not sure if it was a encoding issue, or something with the new version.)

I'm downloading an alternate version to see if the issue persists, or if that was an oddball encoded download issue.

I'll reply back when I know more.
kuroukage

Re: Possible new 1080p stuttering issue

Post by kuroukage »

Did you try a fresh install to see if that fixes your issue?
黒影
_______________________________________________|_._._._._._._._._._
\______________________________________________|_#_#_#_#_#_#_|
------------------------------------------------------------------|---------------------
Triplefun

Post by Triplefun »

Check the PS3 bandwidth either on the UMS console or on the PS3 (see Display). I think there is an issue with 2.4 with the transcode bandwidth settings - see Transcode tab, set high quality or lossless. Try a lower setting and see if the stuttering persists.
agmarco1967

Post by agmarco1967 »

I am having the same problem with 1080P playback (mkv).
What I noticed is that the buffer doesn't fill.
In the debug log I see:

[New I/O server worker #1-2] Setting margin to 2Mb
kuroukage

Post by kuroukage »

For the Transcoding Settings tab under the "Common Transcode Settings" section. I set the video quality setting to keyint=5:vqscale=2:vqmin=3 otherwise I have the same issue with 1080p/DTS .mkv files. Just play with that setting by lowering the quality slightly until you find one that works for you. I'm having no problems in 2.4.0 using that setting.
黒影
------------------------------------------------------------------|---------------------
OliverHaslam

Post by OliverHaslam »

I appear to be suffering from the same thing. I'm using the latest version, and when streaming to my PS3 I am now experiencing choppiness to the point of the video/audio can pause for seconds at a time.

Oddly, the bugger in UMS seems fine. Nothing else has changed, though I'm now beginning to wonder whether I've actually thrown any 1080 videos at it before.

What's everyone's network look like? WiFi/Homeplugs etc?
kuroukage

Post by kuroukage »

I'm using a powerline ethernet kit.
黒影
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

I tested about 10 1080p videos and all played fine
OliverHaslam

Post by OliverHaslam »

kuroukage wrote:I'm using a powerline ethernet kit.
Which speed? No previous issues?
kuroukage

Post by kuroukage »

OliverHaslam wrote:Which speed? No previous issues?
I'm using this connected with Cat 6 cables. The room is a little far away, so I'm not getting max speed (still close to it though for what it's rated as), but I generally have no issues with it.
SubJunk wrote:I tested about 10 1080p videos and all played fine
I actually noticed this (the stuttering) on random parts of a movie I was watching last night (Inception 1080p, DTS audio, .mkv). I did some adjusting for maximum bandwidth in Mb/sec (dropped the max speed from 110 to 70) and it helped, but a few times after (not as frequently) I would see the bitrate on the movie jump extremely high (over 100) and I would get the stuttering issue (choppy video/audio) for about 15-30 seconds. Think this is a Mencoder issue? I have yet to watch a full movie with FFmpeg yet, so this could just be something to do with Mencoder perhaps?
Last edited by kuroukage on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:02 am, edited 4 times in total.
黒影