Onkyo TX-NR717

Discuss media renderers like Xbox 360, TVs, smartphones, etc.
Optimus_prime

Re: Onkyo TX-NR717

Post by Optimus_prime »

Do me a favour Cheesenips, could you do a debug with you having the playstation on and or other renderer's including the onkyo as i would like something to compare. The debug log as you said is clean and shows nothing
How Ask For Support
Remember, Debug Log's Can/Will Help and Explain your issues, we're not mind reader's but here to help
OS's I Use And Can Assist With: Windows 7/8, Mac OS-X 10.8 & 10.9
Mac OS-X Java 7 Builds Mac OS-X Java 7 Forum
cheesenips

Post by cheesenips »

Ok -- here ya go. PS3 and the Onkyo are on and running.

Let me know if I can do anything else for you. As before -- thanks for the help.

-Cheesenips
Attachments
ums_dbg2.zip
(19.95 KiB) Downloaded 469 times
Optimus_prime

Post by Optimus_prime »

Cheer's for that, but i have a few questions. What ip address is the amp and can you ping it. I didn't see anything in the logs that suggests it's attempting to connect to UMS, only the playstation but at least that's working ok.
Any questions just ask :D
How Ask For Support
Remember, Debug Log's Can/Will Help and Explain your issues, we're not mind reader's but here to help
cheesenips

Post by cheesenips »

According to my router's internet admin panel ... the TX_NR515 has an IP address of 192.168.1.250.

Ping attempt was successful - here is a copy and paste:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Keith>ping 192.168.1.250

Pinging 192.168.1.250 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.250: bytes=32 time=47ms TTL=64
Request timed out.
Reply from 192.168.1.250: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.250: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.250:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 17ms, Maximum = 47ms, Average = 27ms

C:\Users\Keith>

Any other ideas?

OH -- i attached another bug.zip file. I did not have the 'net' (on he receiver) activated when I ran the last one. Not sure if there is any difference.

-CHeesenips
Attachments
ums_dbg3.zip
(12.91 KiB) Downloaded 450 times
Optimus_prime

Post by Optimus_prime »

I can't see any difference, and UMS isn't even seeing the Onkyo. Not sure what else you can do apart from checking that all the ip's are correct and make sure windows isn't blocking it. I would have expected to see it at least something there but there's nothing.
How Ask For Support
cheesenips

Post by cheesenips »

Ya -- kinda what I figured as well. The only thing that puzzles me is that Windows Media Center sees it just fine. I can't think of why it does and UMS doesn't?
I suspect that beause Windows Media Center can see it -- that there is no "blocking" going on.

But if you have any other ideas for me to try - please let me know.

-Cheesenips
danielt

Post by danielt »

Cheesenips,
Something I just thought about, UMS does not detect my Onkyo until I access the 'Net' section. It looks like Onkyo doesn't broadcast until you switch into Network mode.
Hope this helps!
Daniel
Aetyrno

Post by Aetyrno »

danielt, have you tried updating the avr? There's a software version that has to be installed via USB on Onkyo's support page. It won't update to this version over the internet.

I have a TX-NR818 which UMS detects with no issues. Now if I could only get the thing to power on by the android remote app...
danielt

Post by danielt »

I did just recently update the firmware. I've had no problem connecting, on old, or new firmware. I didn't respond very clearly above. My comment was it appears the Onkyo does not broadcast for DLNA servers until you actually activate the 'Net' source. There is typically a 20-30second delay between clicking on the DLNA and the UMS showing up as an option. It is by far the slowest client I have at recognizing the UMS.
danielt

Onkyo Remote2 App

Post by danielt »

If you have not discovered it, the Onkyou Remote2 App for Android and iPhone is pretty slick, especially for controlling your net connection. It allows you to browse UMS with the TV off and control everything from your phone/tablet. It is much better than using the standard remote for controlling zone 2/3 as well since everything is graphical and you can actually see/view an acknowlegement of your request.

Hope this helps!