User manual

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
john3voltas

User manual

Post by john3voltas »

Is there a user manual for UMS?
I feel kind of lost with all it's settings.
Besides I am not being able to serve subtitles to my renderer.
All help very welcome.
Cheers
Laptop 1,8Ghz intel coreduo with 4GB RAM
Windows 7 x64
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: User manual

Post by SubJunk »

There's a (somewhat outdated) manual on the Help tab. Most settings are at their best values by default though, 99.9% of users don't need to change anything. So I guess your issue is a bug in the program, in which case viewtopic.php?f=9&t=556
john3voltas

Post by john3voltas »

Hi SubJunk.
Thanks for the tips.
I will post a trace log but first I need to understand how the subtitles work.
For instance, if I have an MKV next to an SRT file both with the same name (diff extension) and if I press the play button on my device for that MKV should I immediately see subs on it? Are they hard subs or selectable subs? Many questions in my mind...
Cheers
Windows 7 x64
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

Without searching I can give you one link:
https://code.google.com/p/pms-exsport/wiki/FAQ
In most cases (depends on rederer) for visible subs you have to transcode.
If your renderer supports e.g. MKV, there is a big chance you can switch embedded subs directly on your renderer. External subs have to be hardcoded in most cases.
If they will be hardcoded, it depends on your audio/sub preference or if you choose your option from TRANSCODE folder where all audio/sub combinations are listed.
Hope it helps
john3voltas

Post by john3voltas »

Thanks ExSport.
So, this means that there is no documentation. There is something but it is so outdated that can't be properly called documentation.
You see, before using an application I usually read on it, study it, ask questions about it on forums and IRC channels so that when I configure it I know more or less what I am doing.
I've just read the help tab and I still don't know how many ways of showing subtitles (live subs, forced subs, etc) and how to set them up.
It's like having a car but not having a driver's license...
Cheers
Windows 7 x64
smirk

Post by smirk »

Well, sort of. It's more like someone gave you a free car that drives itself most of the time and has a bunch of mechanics who are willing to work on it at no charge. And the owners manual is out of date.

So you see, it's not all that bad. :D
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

smirk wrote:Well, sort of. It's more like someone gave you a free car that drives itself most of the time and has a bunch of mechanics who are willing to work on it at no charge. And the owners manual is out of date.

So you see, it's not all that bad. :D
Hahah, nice one :mrgreen:

Edit: And yeah +1
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

smirk wins!