Can't stream to ps4 after getting new router(Netgear R6400)

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
JalexM

Can't stream to ps4 after getting new router(Netgear R6400)

Post by JalexM »

Hello, I recently got a Netgear R6400 and a new modem and it apparently uses a dynamic server. I can't not for the life of me get my ps4 and my computer on the same IP address. I tried port forwarding but it didn't work and switching to a static IP and somehow messed up my internet which caused a few hour outage and i'm at a lose.
The ps4 is the only 2.4 connection, whenever I tried using UMS I switched to the 2.4g connection.
erick diangilis

Re: Can't stream to ps4 after getting new router(Netgear R6400)

Post by erick diangilis »

hi ! for the ps4 i recommend to be wired i have a friend with more connection speed than i am about 60 and he can't talk to me on party chat and download at the same time without the sound get choppy with the wifi i have only 10 with wired connection i don't have the same problem even if my laptop is on the facebook sucking connection speed. for the ip adress i set to dynamic on both modem and on the ps4 i put the mtu based on my internet service provider , the primary dns is the modem. ;)
JalexM

Post by JalexM »

erick diangilis wrote:hi ! for the ps4 i recommend to be wired i have a friend with more connection speed than i am about 60 and he can't talk to me on party chat and download at the same time without the sound get choppy with the wifi i have only 10 with wired connection i don't have the same problem even if my laptop is on the facebook sucking connection speed. for the ip adress i set to dynamic on both modem and on the ps4 i put the mtu based on my internet service provider , the primary dns is the modem. ;)
I still couldn't get it to connect with those settings :(
If it helps, I have time warner
erick diangilis

its wierd it's suppose to be working because i'm using my modem wich also work as a wifi router tp link 8961 and i didn't have to change anything to sync with the media server when i started to use with it connected wired to the ps4 all the settings that i made worked well. and i don't use static ip and other mambo jambo like open ports to make it accecible. maybe you should look on the internet vídeos or tutorials to how to configure your equipment to the ps4 could work. ;)
Triplefun

Post by Triplefun »

The device IP addresses on your 192.168... network should be unique.
JalexM

Post by JalexM »

Triplefun wrote:The device IP addresses on your 192.168... network should be unique.
I don't understand, when it comes to networking i'm a little illiterate.
Like I said before, everything connected fine when I used my old router/modem.
JalexM

Post by JalexM »

erick diangilis wrote:its wierd it's suppose to be working because i'm using my modem wich also work as a wifi router tp link 8961 and i didn't have to change anything to sync with the media server when i started to use with it connected wired to the ps4 all the settings that i made worked well. and i don't use static ip and other mambo jambo like open ports to make it accecible. maybe you should look on the internet vídeos or tutorials to how to configure your equipment to the ps4 could work. ;)
Internet videos isn't going to help as it's a specific router setting issue.
erick diangilis

if its working before you changed the equipament and with your new one even messing up the configurations is still not working could be a indication that is not funcionting well maybe you should Exchange to another one from the same brand or try get a new one from another brand but make sure that Works fine with ps4 and with the universal media server. with my tp link i don't have problems and i've been using the media server since version 5. ;)
also make sure that the java you're using is the best fit for your Windows system and try to get the media server that fits with same java like 7 or 8.
my ip adress is set to dynamic on both ps4 and on the tp link modem, my default gateway and my primary dns are the same on the ps4 network test wich is 192.168 etc.
i don't use proxy, my mtu i got from the internet service provider that from the are that i live, connection method lan cable. some settings i 've configured manually and others i've set upt automatically. and when i set up my modem i've use the easy wizard instead of set up by more complicated methods and Works fine and fast. ;)