Issues with MKV files

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
skulleddino

Issues with MKV files

Post by skulleddino »

I am running a headless Debian server with the most recent version of UMS on it. Everything seems to be going smoothly except for the fact that MKV and AVI files take forever to load. Mp4 files load instantly with no buffer. I am running the server through a gig switch to another computer to test it. I am not sure what may be causing MKVs and AVIs to run so poorly. I appreciate any help anyone can offer. I have not changed anything in my config files.
Nadahar

Re: Issues with MKV files

Post by Nadahar »

It sounds to me like they're transcoding. If they take "forever", you computer might be slow? That said, if that's the case, they should lag also after starting playback.
skulleddino

Post by skulleddino »

I'm running a gen4 i5 processor with 16GB of ram. It doesnt have a great graphics card if that is affecting the transcoding. What do you think I could do to try and improve it? I have considered running a script for FFMPEG to convert them to mp4 files, but that is going to take quite a while.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

A "gen4 i5" ranges from very slow to quite fast. You need to specify how long "forever" is, and you need to post debug files as described in red above for anyone to look into what's actually happening instead of just guessing.