[SOLVED] Location of cache files (Linux)

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Trigeek00

[SOLVED] Location of cache files (Linux)

Post by Trigeek00 »

Hello,
I have noticed some odd behavior of UMS in my media server display. When I click on a work by Beethoven, I get the artwork for an album by Pat Metheny. Sometimes the album title and artist does not match. It did not happen at first, however I was re-arranging my folder structure and that is when the problem showed up. I modified the UMS.conf file to disable cache and the problem went away, re-enable cache and it's back. With the cache disabled the folders load slower... not a surprise.

I think the problem is the cache is having an issue due to my moving of files. I suspect that clearing the cache and letting it rebuild would fix the problem, though I cannot find it's location. I have searched the forums and have only found answers for Windows and OSX. Could someone please point me to the location of this file? I am running Ubuntu Server 18.04. Could you also confirm that I need to delete the file to force a new cache rebuild.

Thank you in advance,
Jim
Last edited by Trigeek00 on Fri May 24, 2019 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
boss

Re: Location of cache files (Linux)

Post by boss »

On my Gentoo Linux it is in:
/username/.config/UMS/database/
Trigeek00

Post by Trigeek00 »

Thanks for you reply. I do not see the .config directory under my home. What was the name of the database file that you reference?

Thanks
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

All file and folders starting with a "." is hidden in Linux. Try using "ls -a" or simply "cd .config" despite not seeing it.
Trigeek00

Post by Trigeek00 »

I do not see a .config directory on my Ubuntu Server. It is there on my laptop that has Ubuntu Desktop. So at least in my case, it's a question specifically about Ubuntu Server.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

It will be created in the home folder of the user UMS is running as. That means, if you run it as root, look for it in the "/root" folder, otherwise look in the "/home/<username>" folder. It's also explicitly listed in the log during startup. Look for "profile folder".
boss

Post by boss »

The name of the files are:
medias.mv.db
medias.trace.db

Maybe try the find command from each user:
find -name medias*

EG:
satan ~ # cd /root
satan ~ # find -name medias*
./.config/UMS/database/medias.mv.db
./.config/UMS/database/medias.trace.db
Trigeek00

Re: [SOLVED] Location of cache files (Linux)

Post by Trigeek00 »

Thank you everyone. Especially Boss..

Knowing the file names was just the ticket. The files were located in my /etc/databases directory. I had seen the files earlier though I was expecting "ums" in the filename. Problem is solved!