Videos are not fullscreen when streaming to PS4

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
amoe

Videos are not fullscreen when streaming to PS4

Post by amoe »

Hi there

I am attempting to stream to the PS4 Media Player from UMS on Linux.
Streaming works, but the video appears as a tiny rectangle in the middle of the screen.
The source video dimensions are 720x384 in this test case.
This happens in nearly all cases, although I've found one video that filled the screen. However that video was 1920x1072.

I don't know how scaling is supposed to work with UMS, does UMS scale the video itself, or does it rely on the renderer, or even the TV?
The TV that I am using is a Toshiba 40BL702B over an HDMI connection.
There are some options on the remote for various "screen" presets, but I've tried them all and none of them will use even half of the available screen space on the TV.

When I stream from VLC on my laptop, that works fine & plays in fullscreen, using the same video to test.

Any ideas?
Thanks!
Dave
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(41.57 KiB) Downloaded 366 times
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: Videos are not fullscreen when streaming to PS4

Post by SubJunk »

That's strange. From your logs I can see that we are transcoding the video with FFmpeg and sending it at the same resolution 720x384
Some TVs have settings to display videos at their real pixels or to stretch to full screen, can you go into your TV settings and see if there is anything like that?
We do have the ability to upscale in these cases but it is better as a last resort
amoe

Post by amoe »

My TV has a menu, "Advanced Picture Settings", and in the menu is "Picture Zoom", with values: "Auto", "Full", "16:9", "Subtitle", "14:9", "14:9 Zoom", "4:3", "Panoramic", "Cinema".

But sadly none of these settings makes the video fullscreen. Some of them make the picture slightly bigger, but it's still pretty much just half the size of the screen.

I just tried setting the PS4 video output to 720p which I expected would make a difference, but the scaling in media player still remained exactly the same, confusingly. The image was exactly the same size and had the same small adjustments made when changing the 'picture zoom' setting.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Is there a way to see if VLC is upscaling the video when they send it? Does your TV have a way to display which resolution it's receiving?
amoe

Post by amoe »

Ah, I'm sorry SubJunk -- I made a typo in the original post -- I meant that I can stream *from* UMS *to* VLC and VLC plays back the video in fullscreen. Not that I can stream *from* VLC to the PS4.
Does your TV have a way to display which resolution it's receiving?
My remote has a button "Info", which displays an info box: "HDMI4 / V: 60Hz / 1920x1080p".
amoe

Post by amoe »

Now I tried a few different DLNA servers and they all had the same problem. So I guess that my only solution is to upscale. Luckily it seems to work quite OK so far.

I put this in the config file:

Code: Select all

OverrideFFmpegVideoFilter = scale=1920:-1
Then I removed all the

Code: Select all

Supported
lines for video formats, which seems to have the side effect of forcing UMS to transcode all videos instead of streaming them. All good so far. :?:
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

That's good to know about the different servers too. We do have an option in our renderer configs which is to set RescaleByRenderer=false but that will only work for videos under 720px wide (less than SD)