proper path format for playlists?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
kdwinton

proper path format for playlists?

Post by kdwinton »

I switched from another platform to UMS, running on Linux, and I can't figure out the right path to use to get my m3u playlists to work. I found some (older) posts that said they had to be relative, not absolute, but even then, I've tried "starting" from the UMS profile directory, the UMS run directory, and everything else I can think of, but the playlists all come up empty.

Can someone point me to the proper path to use for a playlist?
Nadahar

Re: proper path format for playlists?

Post by Nadahar »

I have never tried making playlists so I don't know, but I'm pretty sure that "relative" means the media's location relative to the playlist file's location. That means that if they are in the same folder, no path is needed at all - just the filenames.
kdwinton

Post by kdwinton »

Thanks for the tip, that was it - the playlist file name needs to be relative to the playlist file itself. Giving details to make it hopefully easier for someone to search and find.

So for example, to create a m3u playlist where your music files might be organized into folders like this, with child folders inside them by artist and then album:

..../mp3/classical
..../mp3/jazz
..../mp3/playlists

your playlist file (one of several in the playlists folder) would look something like this:

#EXTM3U
../jazz/Beegie Adair/Piano Romance/01-01- Let s Get Lost.mp3
../jazz/Beegie Adair/Piano Romance/01-02- Polka Dots and Moonbeams.mp3
kdwinton

Post by kdwinton »

Also, found it was necessary to put "#EXTM3U" at the top of each playlist file, else it's not parsed by UMS