UMS.conf “folders”… not working ? [SOLVED]

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Sxilderik

UMS.conf “folders”… not working ? [SOLVED]

Post by Sxilderik »

Hello all

I just installed UMS (9.8.2) in /opt/ums/ums , as a service on my headless Debian server, on its own user, ums, whose home directory is /opt/ums.

As I was watching debug.log, I noticed UMS was scanning its user folder, including UMS folders

All my videos are on /srv/video, so I edited UMS.conf and wrote

Code: Select all

folders = /srv/video
hoping that UMS would scan that folder and that one only

Restart UMS

And nothing shows on the debug.log, still scanning the user folder (even after I deleted .cache, .config, .mplayer folders)

I tried without the spaces around the equal sign, same thing

I ended up creating a symlink to /srv/video in /opt/ums, and then my movies started appearing (in the log first, and then as available on DLNA), alongside all the other files in /opt/ums.

What did I do wrong ?

Thanks
Last edited by Sxilderik on Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nadahar

Re: UMS.conf “folders”… not working ?

Post by Nadahar »

It could be many things, but there's something called "folders_monitored" too AFAICR which might interfere. BUt, one tip is to stop UMS before editing the config file, because UMS might overwrite your changes otherwise.

Whitespace doesn't matter, it will be trimmed anyway.
Sxilderik

Post by Sxilderik »

Thanks

Of course, UMS was stopped before editing the UMS.conf
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Another common cause is that you're not editing the config file in use. The location of the "active" configuration file can be found relatively early in the log.
Sxilderik

Post by Sxilderik »

Nadahar wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:32 am Another common cause is that you're not editing the config file in use. The location of the "active" configuration file can be found relatively early in the log.
YES!

That was it. I was editing the main UMS.conf file, I somehow missed the info saying I should edit the file in the ~/.config/UMS folder!

It works well now, thanks, except for a charset handling in folder names (/srv/vidéo does not work!).
I’ll look this forum up for this issue.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

The configuration file is in "Java properties" format - which is encoded with Latin 1. To use "non-standard" characters, you must encode them with "\uxxxx" where "xxxx" is the hexadecimal unicode code point for the character. This means that you'd have to write:

Code: Select all

/srv/vid\u00e9o
..because 00e9 is the unicode code point value for é: https://www.compart.com/en/unicode/U+00E9
Sxilderik

Re: UMS.conf “folders”… not working ? [SOLVED]

Post by Sxilderik »

Thanks
(By non-standard you mean non-ASCII, because é is perfectly standard to me ;) )
Nadahar

Re: UMS.conf “folders”… not working ? [SOLVED]

Post by Nadahar »

Yes, sort of. It's supposed to support Latin-1, which I think should include é, but assuming ASCII is absolutely safest.