Installing UMS on Ubuntu 14.04LTS

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
mjnovak77

Installing UMS on Ubuntu 14.04LTS

Post by mjnovak77 »

Hi, I see the tutorial on installing UMS on Ubuntu server but is it the same for LTS? Also is there an update for the newer UMS 5? Thanks.
rhauff

Re: Installing UMS on Ubuntu 14.04LTS

Post by rhauff »

Instead of doing the "Install" procedure you can just add the UMS.sh file to your Startup applications. This is assuming you already have a Java installed.

Download whatever version you want from this page:
http://www.universalmediaserver.com/

Extract the file to some folder

Go to that folder and Open a terminal mark the main program executable, run: chmod +x UMS.sh

Use the Dash to find and open Startup Applications. Alternatively you can press Alt+F2 and run the gnome-session-properties command.
Browse to your UMS.sh file and select it. Now it will run every time at startup, same as if you done the "Install"
Agent_Rocket

Post by Agent_Rocket »

mjnovak77 wrote:Hi, I see the tutorial on installing UMS on Ubuntu server but is it the same for LTS? Also is there an update for the newer UMS 5? Thanks.
are you talking about this guide: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2761
that one is for the LTS (Long time service) or did you mean desktop?

to answer your question: the steps are exactly the same for UMS 5 or the 14.10 Ubuntu with only 2 years of future updates instead of the 5 years of 14.04. when running a desktop ubuntu instead of a server, you can substitute some of the steps with mouse clicking (e.g. the downloading and extracting).
mjnovak77

Post by mjnovak77 »

Thanks guys, Yes, I am using the desktop version. The same steps did still work after I found the correct package on sourceforge. I was able to succesfully get it installed and running. Still seem to have some bugs... I ran it from the terminal first, tried playing a few files which worked but the whole time it was playing I got this error in the terminal repeatedly: "class javax.net.ssl.SSLException :: Connection has been shutdown: javax.net.ssl.SSLException: java.net.SocketException: Connection reset"
it continued until I quit. I'll try putting it in the startup applications also.
Last edited by mjnovak77 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
mjnovak77

Post by mjnovak77 »

update, ums is running great now. Not sure what that java error was but it stopped after I quit and restarted the application. I did add it to the startup applications and that works as well except the first time it started it did not find my media folders. Once I re-started the server it found them fine. Could it be because they are on a different drive and weren't mounted yet?
mickey6

Post by mickey6 »

mjnovak77 wrote:update, ums is running great now. Not sure what that java error was but it stopped after I quit and restarted the application. I did add it to the startup applications and that works as well except the first time it started it did not find my media folders. Once I re-started the server it found them fine. Could it be because they are on a different drive and weren't mounted yet?
I have the same issue - my media files are located on external drives that need to be mounted after boot up. If I try to run UMS before I mount the drives, it can't find them.