Mplayer SVN binary produces white noise in audio stream

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
tachyon

Mplayer SVN binary produces white noise in audio stream

Post by tachyon »

Dear fellow UMS users and developers,

I recently updated my mplayer/mencoder binary which were compiled from SVN release (svn-34xxx). They are approximately one year old, The problem was that my binaries can't handle audio channel change midstream (2.0 -> 5.1, for example), so I thought it's high time for an upgrade.

I did a svn up, compile and successfully produced a .deb with checkinstall. Executing mplayer/mencoder binary from a console works fine, and it can handle any media types, as it should be. Upon playing from UMS (v2.6.2), however, the audio stream of any media comes out as white noise.

By enabling keep audio in LPCM option, I was able to get some of my media files to play correctly. Having said that, some media with 7.1 audio or DTS either plays with distorted sound or missing some audio on certain channels. This led me to believe that channel layout detection didn't work as intended in my mplayer/mencoder build (Please correct me if my assumption is incorrect). mencoder output lines in debug.log also didn't provide any hints as to why the sound came out this way. As far as they concerned, the audio stream was detected successfully and sent to my PS3.

If I inspect the stream info in my PS3, it does seem that the codec used/number of channels is correctly shown, even though the output was just white noise.

Now, my questions here are:
  • Does anyone experienced in compiling their own mplayer binaries ever come accross this problem? And if so, is there any workaround which can be applied on this issue?
  • Which SVN release is considered more or less 'stable' and less likely to have the same problem? (I've used the same compile flags used to build my older mplayer binary to compile the latest SVN release)
Let me know if anyone needs to see my JRE/OS versions, mplayer compile flags, debug.log, etc.