[Solved] UMS 9.0.1 won't open

For help and support with Mac OS X-specific issues
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Post Reply
Jenner
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:28 am

[Solved] UMS 9.0.1 won't open

Post by Jenner » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:39 am

Hi,

I was running an older version of UMS (7.9) but I was having problems accessing my video's folder after I updated my laptop to OSX Catalina, so I decided to update UMS to a newer version to see if that will fix that problem, but after I downloaded UMS 9.0.1 it just won't open. It shows a system warning saying that the app is damaged and can't be opened and it should be moved to the trash.

If you could help that would be awesome, thanks.

Jenner

PD: Sorry if my English was bad. If you need more info I will happily provide it.
Attachments
debug.log
(46.76 KiB) Downloaded 15 times

Nadahar
Posts: 1464
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:57 pm

Re: UMS 9.0.1 won't open

Post by Nadahar » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:20 pm

Image

If I'm not mistaken, this error message is for as a general "won't run" message by Apple. It can actually mean that the file is damaged, but most often it simply means that the developer didn't pay ransom to Apple to that they would "approve and sign" the software.

Thus, you must probably choose between disabling or eluding "Gatekeeper", or just stick to software that has paid Apple for approval. That basically means software that somebody earns money on, either through license sales or ads, so that they can use some of the money they earn to pay Apple protection money.

You can read more about it by searching online or here: https://macreports.com/app-is-damaged-a ... trash-fix/

Jenner
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:28 am

Re: UMS 9.0.1 won't open

Post by Jenner » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:28 pm

Nadahar wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:20 pm
Image

If I'm not mistaken, this error message is for as a general "won't run" message by Apple. It can actually mean that the file is damaged, but most often it simply means that the developer didn't pay ransom to Apple to that they would "approve and sign" the software.

Thus, you must probably choose between disabling or eluding "Gatekeeper", or just stick to software that has paid Apple for approval. That basically means software that somebody earns money on, either through license sales or ads, so that they can use some of the money they earn to pay Apple protection money.

You can read more about it by searching online or here: https://macreports.com/app-is-damaged-a ... trash-fix/
Thanks for your answer.

I performed the steps in order to disable the Gatekeeper and then I tried to open the app and got the same problem.
Captura de Pantalla 2019-10-21 a la(s) 9.20.16 p. m..png
Captura de Pantalla 2019-10-21 a la(s) 9.20.16 p. m..png (331.52 KiB) Viewed 1357 times
I also tried downloading again UMS but I got the same problem.

Nadahar
Posts: 1464
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:57 pm

Re: UMS 9.0.1 won't open

Post by Nadahar » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:07 pm

OK, I don't have the later versions of macOS available, so I don't know the details, but I'm pretty sure it's caused some other "security measure" imposed by Apple. They keep making it more and more difficult for each iteration of the OS, and I suspect that they plan to ultimately make it impossible to install software that's not in their store. That way, they will get a cut from all software sold to the platform.
Last edited by Nadahar on Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

tmisiu
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:15 am

Re: UMS 9.0.1 won't open

Post by tmisiu » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:18 am

Try this, works for me.

https://youtu.be/6fqzb4qpgcs

Regards

Nadahar
Posts: 1464
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:57 pm

Re: UMS 9.0.1 won't open

Post by Nadahar » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:10 am

Great tip @tmisiu, even though this is explained other places, some people panic as soon as "terminal" is mentioned and just ignores those parts. The linked video really shows how simple it is (y)

What I can't believe is how Apple users accept this behavior, but it seems to Microsoft too has something similar in mind, although I suspect that they'll let Apple "create the norm" that this is acceptable first. When people don't object, companies will do anything, no matter how morally reprehensible.

Jenner
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:28 am

Re: UMS 9.0.1 won't open

Post by Jenner » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:28 am

tmisiu wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:18 am
Try this, works for me.

https://youtu.be/6fqzb4qpgcs

Regards
Hi, thanks for your answer.

I have no problem using the terminal :) . I tried what the video showed but I got errors.
Captura de Pantalla 2019-10-22 a la(s) 5.25.46 p. m..png
Captura de Pantalla 2019-10-22 a la(s) 5.25.46 p. m..png (1022.94 KiB) Viewed 1317 times
Don't know what's happening, is it possible to download an older version of UMS?

Nadahar
Posts: 1464
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:57 pm

Re: UMS 9.0.1 won't open

Post by Nadahar » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:37 am

I don't think an older version will help, as I think what has changed is macOS. You will probably find that it blocks all software that doesn't have an "Apple approved" signature.

Try running the command as root, run: "sudo su" first, alternatively run the command with "sudo" prefixed like this: "sudo xattr -cr /Applications/Universal\ Media\ Server.app"

Jenner
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:28 am

Re: UMS 9.0.1 won't open

Post by Jenner » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:43 pm

Nadahar wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:37 am
I don't think an older version will help, as I think what has changed is macOS. You will probably find that it blocks all software that doesn't have an "Apple approved" signature.

Try running the command as root, run: "sudo su" first, alternatively run the command with "sudo" prefixed like this: "sudo xattr -cr /Applications/Universal\ Media\ Server.app"
Hi,

I added "sudo" before the command and it worked!!!! :D

Thank you very much!!!

PD: How do I mark this post as solved?

Nadahar
Posts: 1464
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:57 pm

Re: [Solved] UMS 9.0.1 won't open

Post by Nadahar » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:54 pm

I think you need to edit the topic by editing the first post, but I'm not 100% sure.

Post Reply