How do I use this "Web interface"?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Danne_V

How do I use this "Web interface"?

Post by Danne_V »

Hi!

I'm a newbie. Just found and installed UMS, so please bear with me.

I can't figure out the function/purpose with this "Web interface" option. Sure, when activated (in my computer), it shows the folders and files that I've set as accessible from my TV. That's nice and so. But as far as I understand, the browser merely provides a little nicer way to browse the files than by using Finder (I've got UMS on my Mac). Or are there ways to access the browser from the TV?

If so, how? I've got a Philips that's not Android, but on some other system: NETTV, MTK or iWedia (I dunno which one of these it is).

Oh, one more question: can I mirror any of my screens on my Mac to the TV via UMS?

Again, please accept my apology for my witless questions....

Cheers,
Danne
Nadahar

Re: How do I use this "Web interface"?

Post by Nadahar »

UMS' primary function is to serve media using UPnP AV/DLNA. You need a TV (or some other device) that supports one of these standards. If your TV does, you need to figure out how to browse and play "media servers" from the TV. How to do this varies wildly from device to device, so you'll need to consult your user manual of you can't find it by looking through the TV's menus.

The web interface is a "secondary way" to access the media, it can be accessed from any device that has a web browser and that is on your local network. It's not intended to be used as a replacement for Finder or similar, it's meant to give other devices than the one hosting the files access to the media. To access it from another device, you simply need to specify the same URL (IP and port) as shown on your mac when you open the web interface.

There's no mirroring functionality - UMS is for serving media files.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: How do I use this "Web interface"?

Post by SubJunk »

Nadahar is right, also starting in v10 it gives you the ability to view IMDb-like information about your videos, and also filter your media based on that information. For example viewing all movies in the Drama genre, or viewing all movies rated for kids, etc. which is much more than Finder offers.