OS X: No UMS user interface

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Sortie

OS X: No UMS user interface

Post by Sortie »

Good morning,
I am new to this forum and to UMS. I installed UMS on my iMac on OS X 10.10.2 as follows:
- installed latest Java with jre-8u31-macosx-x64.dmg
. loaded UMS-5.0.0-Java8.dmg
. when I double-click UMS-5.0.0-Java8.dmg it starts running with the program name PMS but does not open any user-interface screen;
. I can then access and play my media files on my iMac with my 4k SONY TV 'Bravia KD-65S9005B';
. I have been able to watch a movie without interruption but UMS appears to terminate after a while without traffic in spite of my iMac configured to never shut down;

Problems/Questions:
. I have temporarily installed UMS on my Parallels/Window 8.1 side, just to test it, and there UMS opens a user dialogue screen when I double click the installation file;
. On OS X: When I double-click the dmg file it starts running without user dialogue, but with the program name PMS, not UMS, - WHY ?
. On OS X: I have found no way to open a UMS user interface screen and cannot thus configure it. CAN YOU HELP?

Thank you in advance.
alanj

Re: OS X: No UMS user interface

Post by alanj »

could this be a security / user permission issue - are you admin on your mac?
Sortie

Post by Sortie »

Yes, I am an admin and sole user of this iMac.
Also, as noted previously, the user-interface pops up when I start the installation file under Parallel/Windows.
I am totally unfamiliar with Java. Could it be a Java issue?
What would you expect to normally happen when double-clicking the UMS dmg installation file? Does a user-interface pop up?
Is the user-interface a part of the UMS software? Is it dependent on Java?

Hope you have an idea
alanj

Post by alanj »

afraid not I installed it on my iMac and on one of the users on the machine (admin) it works fine and on the other (normal) the user interface doesn't load :( the user interface

no other ideas I'm afraid.
CappySpectrum

Post by CappySpectrum »

I've noticed this as well. It does load but you have to wait as there is a bit of a delay. Even though I'm on 10.8.5.
CappySpectrum wrote: At first I thought there was something wrong as there is a bit of a delay for the program window to appear.
darude83

Post by darude83 »

I don´t get a user interface either.

Installation Wizard completed, Server is running, no user interface, and doesn´t appear later as well.

Pretty pissed, i know i shouldn´t be.
alanj

Post by alanj »

I have the same problem - and can't configure the server even though when looking from the outside it seems to be running, where is the configuration file on OS/X and would deleting it start the config process again - I think I selected "start minimised" and maybe that was an issue any one else do that?
Optimus_prime

Post by Optimus_prime »

Ok, i'll provide you shortly with a way you could post a Trace log and a Jar launcher output so we can look into this issue.
Also could you (not you sortie or cappy) provide me with the details of the Mac version you are using so i can direct my test to those versions.
Thanks
How Ask For Support
Remember, Debug Log's Can/Will Help and Explain your issues, we're not mind reader's but here to help
OS's I Use And Can Assist With: Windows 7/8, Mac OS-X 10.8 & 10.9
Mac OS-X Java 7 Builds Mac OS-X Java 7 Forum
alanj

Post by alanj »

I'm using 5.0.1, started first with 5.0.0 installed it and when it got to the start minimized click yes - ever saw an interface after that.

Logged into a separate user did the same install without the start minimised and it works fine.

When I start it on the initial user it is viewable from the outside (i.e. from my PS3) but because it isn't configured I can't seen any active video directories on my machine.

The computer is an iMAC running the latest Yosemite developer release of 10.10.3 with the default Java 6 engine.

if I could work out where the user config file was and either delete it (will it run through the first run config then) or change it to be "not minimised" on start up I could maybe diagnose if that is the issue or if there is something more fundamental, hope that helps and is useful any other questions please ask.

Regards
Alan
alanj

Post by alanj »

resetting UMS by removing /Users/name-of-user/Library/Application Support/UMS and then restarting UMS for the first time and making sure NOT to tell UMS as default minimised solved the above issues for me.
I can now see the interface and finish defining the valid directories.