WDTV Live playback issues for (mostly) 1080p video content

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
kitty654321

WDTV Live playback issues for (mostly) 1080p video content

Post by kitty654321 »

I've been driven crazy by this and I am hoping someone else is experiencing something similar or knows how to help.

In the past couple of weeks whenever my WDTV Live box is connected to UMS (also happens with FireStream and Playback - both Mac Media Server apps) it causes problems with playback of certain files, at random times. I can be watching a show perfectly fine, then all of a sudden it will freeze/lag, the stop playback and say that the file is no longer available / cannot be played (or words to that effect). The file itself is not corrupted (as it plays just fine via USB) so it's an issue caused by something with the playback. It sometimes happens, sometimes doesn't - even redownloading the file doesn't fix it. None of my settings have changed, no updates to the OS, yet it's constantly happening at random intervals.

The only constant I have noted in this random occurrence is that most of the video files it happens to are 1080p larger file size (let's say 800mb for a 22 minute show, for example). Could this be the cause, but if so why only recently?

What would cause this to suddenly happen? I've been using WDTV Live without issue for a while - yet now all of a sudden I'm having problems with most files I try to play.

Any ideas?
Wolfgan

Re: WDTV Live playback issues for (mostly) 1080p video content

Post by Wolfgan »

Post logs as per viewtopic.php?f=9&t=556 for better help.
Are you on wifi or wired eth?
I read your other post on VPN... maybe the VPN link gets saturated and just drops the connection?
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )