Version 9.1.0 released

Announcements about Universal Media Server
pipin

Re: Version 9.1.0 released

Post by pipin »

SubJunk wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:11 am
pipin wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:13 am Thanks for the release, but I got some errors during the installation.

"Error opening file for writing..." for some files related to Java like \jre-x64\bin\awt.dll
I would expect that to happen if you try to install when the previous one is still running. Can you try it again?
Sorry for the late response.

I was sure I had terminated ums before upgrading.

Another install after closing ums just went through without errors.
Regards,
Jens
-----------
Devices used with UMS : - Windows 10 PC, Samsung UE32 F4580SS, Samsung UE48H6600
erickps4

Post by erickps4 »

hi subjunk. i've tested out on the ps4 pro media player and it's working fine no bugs or slow downs or any stuters. transcoding Works ok sound in dts is ok gpu acceleration is working ok memory usage is very stable. about the installation process i had no issues on my Windows 10 or any problems to download.
i have no complains about this new one Works like a glove.

thanks for this release again and i hope you can help the others with their issues keep up with the good work and god bless. :D
jaapie18

Post by jaapie18 »

erickps4 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:28 am hi subjunk. i've tested out on the ps4 pro media player and it's working fine no bugs or slow downs or any stuters. transcoding Works ok sound in dts is ok gpu acceleration is working ok memory usage is very stable. about the installation process i had no issues on my Windows 10 or any problems to download.
i have no complains about this new one Works like a glove.

thanks for this release again and i hope you can help the others with their issues keep up with the good work and god bless. :D
Sinds when is DTS working on the PS4 with ums? I thougd it was converting to ac3.
Paradox

Post by Paradox »

jaapie18 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:44 am Sinds when is DTS working on the PS4 with ums? I thougd it was converting to ac3.

The PS4 does not support DTS from media files and never has its only when playing disc media (unless SONY have changed that in later firmwares, which is doubtful, as i think DTS omission for files over network is basically the same for all current consoles including Xboxes).

From media files it will support AAC, AC3 (and other UPTO 5.1 format when each channel is seen as a separate channel like Dolby Digital), PCM. M4A (or variants of) limited FLAC support (mono or dual channel) and mp3 (does not like some variable bitrate mp3s). ANYTHING ELSE would have to be transcoded to one of those files and the best of those would be AC3 which is what the transcoding does.

Its support for media files is pretty much the same (audio wise at least) as the PS3

What format your PS4 can do with games and disc media is NOT that same as what it can do with digital media files over DLNA.

The renderer conf file for the PS4 as far as i can tell is correct, any change to it by the developers would likely impact something else.

If you really must have DTS audio your will need to buy a proper media playing device and not a games console. Personally i think Sony stuff is poor for DLNA and network file playback, be it their TVs, bluray players or consoles.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

^ PS3 has DTS support
Paradox

Post by Paradox »

SubJunk wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:43 pm ^ PS3 has DTS support
VERY LATE REPLY SORRY....

Well maybe i am wrong but according to the DLNA databases
https://spirespark.com/dlna/products

If you search for "playstation" on there it states all models only support LPCM audio. Newer models it seems allowed MPEG PS and TS video whilst older models did not, the rest of the formats supported appears to be the same. LPCM normally means support upto dolby 5.1 only (as that sound format is made up of multiple single channels of sound, much like stereo sound is 2 channels typically you can see this by opening an audio track in any decent audio editor) DTS which is an entirely encompassed digital stream is not AFAIK packaged as separate channels of PCM audio and never has been.

SONY products (Ive had a PS3 and have a Sony TV) do NOT support the same formats over UPNP/DLNA as they do for LOCAL (IE disk or usb media). A Playstation 3 will supportt DTS via a bluray disk and a USB file which has DTS audio but over DLNA to play it transcoding/reencoding in one form or another to the audio AFAIK is always required.

ps..

I believe the above is the same for the ps4, although that site has no certificate for the ps4 i could find typically the only thing sony change on their products from one generation of TV, bluray, console etc etc to the next in line generation is the MPEG suport (example 2009/2010 Sony TVs are MPEG PS only 2011/2012 were MPEG TS and PS ready and not until 2015/16 did they support MP4/H264) significant changes are often not made until entirely new generations of device. I do not think the PS4 supports X/H265 either (ive seen that asked about somewhere) properly over DLNA either.
DTS very few devices support in its raw stream unless they are specific media streaming and or computer platforms.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

We do some trickery to make PS3 support DTS - we split the file apart and remux it with different flags. I don't know if it has been subsequently broken but it used to work for sure. That is the reason we added the tsMuxeR project in the first place.