Which new feature do you want?

Announcements about Universal Media Server
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Which new feature do you want?

Post by SubJunk »

The time has come again to ask you which new features/enhancements you want!

Our feedback so far about v10 has been great and we would like to make sure our next releases are just as anticipated and well-received. We always fix bugs and improve support for devices, and that never changes, but we also work towards new features that matter to our users.

Being an open source project, we are always close to our users, since our developers are also users. With our determined focus on privacy - we do not track any actions you take while using the program - means that we rely on you to let us know how it is being used and how you would like it to be used.

We have some really cool new features in the works already, and this is your chance to let us know what you want, and to influence the next major release/s. We look forward to seeing your ideas!
Bembudo

Re: Which new feature do you want?

Post by Bembudo »

Hey Subjunk,

I have a feature request, you gave a whole new look to finding metadata and displaying pertinent movie information in the event it is found through whatever source you use to find this information. You also have a setting name called alternate_thumb_folder thats been around for a while and works Great. But what happens when metadata is not found? well, we get this, I managed to get my poster art displayed because there is a way to do so, but I think users should also have the ability to somehow enter there own metadata if it is not found through some sort of config template using the same naming convention as subtitle files and poster images. Just a thought, i know you cant guarantee ALL metadata to be found
Ranger187

Post by Ranger187 »

From my fb post...

"Universal Media Server correct. I was involved years ago with the Vizio tvs and provided the only work for the Sony BDP player. 😊

Basically, have it do what the web interface does. Simple stuff first like restart server, rescan media directory. This is something we should post on the forum and see if any interest, features required, requested etc.

From that you can expand in a sense like Kodi (example) so you also have an android tv app that can be an all in one. Or just simply keep a UMS to remote control the app on your server. Like utorrent has an android app to remote control it."
kanedagr

Post by kanedagr »

I would like to be able to stream from my pc to my Samsung TV, internet radio. Soma FM especially. Direct links here.
Or this "http://212.83.172.11:8594" a radio station from Greece.
And another useful option from my point of view (as I watch anime a lot), is to be able to transcode the ASS subtitles from MKV video files with all the different fonts, sizes and effects!
Thanks in advance.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

@Bembudo I have recently discovered (thanks to a spambot digging up an old post) that there was a plugin called UMS-MLX that did a lot of that, but as I understand it, due to personal differences at the time never got integrated into UMS.

It would be a shame to leave that work unused. Is there any chance that can be salvaged?

One thing that would help users to set up UMS for new devices would be a GUI conf editor that can automate a lot of the process like
  • Scan the network for all devices and let the user pick the one to create or edit a config for and have all the matching strings automatically added.
    and if there is a conf that already matches that device, give the new one a higher priority.
  • Ability to browse included renderer icons or add their own
  • Have a test suite of videos in various formats that it plays on the device. If successful, adds that to the supported formats.
    could be automated if the device supports remote control, or manually playing each one then reporting if it plays.
  • A way to make sure the transcoding settings are correct for when a file is unsupported
  • It could also be used for testing whether a file would be transcoded on a device when you don't have access to that device.

Some devices (eg PS4, my Samsung TV) ignore the sort order instead displaying in alphabetical order.
There could be an option to prepend a number to directory/file names in the "file sorting / naming" options similar to what PrependTrackNumbers does for audio files.

The #--Transcode--# folder could be cleaned up and simplified. If a file has multiple audio track and subs, this folder can be very long.
add in long file names that can take a while for the device to scroll on screen and some devices ignoring the sort order, it can be hard to find the option you need.
I think it would be best if only the first transcoding engine is shown, with the others moved to a "More renderers" directory.
No need to show the full filename of the file for each option, most renderers show the name of the parent directory anyway which is that file. (just checked and the current version does not show full filenames but I'm sure this has changed back and forth on previous ones)
Only show the language of the audio/Subs in the main directory, but show all details in the "More renderers"
All options should be numbered to make sure they stay in the correct order, and "No transcode" always appears first no matter the device

Something like this

Code: Select all

β”œβ”€β”€ 0 - No Transcoding
β”œβ”€β”€ 1 - Transcode using FFmpeg
β”œβ”€β”€ 1.1 - English Audio
β”œβ”€β”€ 1.1.1 - English Subs
β”œβ”€β”€ 1.1.2 - Japanese Subs
β”œβ”€β”€ 1.2 - Japanese Audio
β”œβ”€β”€ 1.2.1 - English Subs
β”œβ”€β”€ 1.2.2 - Japanese Subs
β”œβ”€β”€ 2 - Chapters
β”‚   β”œβ”€β”€ 1.1 - English Audio
β”‚   β”‚   β”œβ”€β”€ 10 min
β”‚   β”‚   β”œβ”€β”€ 20 min
β”‚   β”‚   └── 30 min
β”‚   β”œβ”€β”€ 1.1.1 - English Subs
β”‚   β”‚   └── 30 min
β”‚   β”œβ”€β”€ 1.1.2 - Japanese Subs
β”‚   β”‚   └── 30 min
β”‚   β”œβ”€β”€ 1.2 - Japanese Audio
β”‚   β”‚   └── 30 min
β”‚   β”œβ”€β”€ 1.2.1 - English Subs		
β”‚   β”‚   └── 30 min
β”‚   └── 1.2.2 - Japanese Subs
β”‚        β”œβ”€β”€ 10 min
β”‚        β”œβ”€β”€ 20 min
β”‚        └── 30 min
└── 3 - More Renderers
    β”œβ”€β”€ 1 - FFmpeg Video
    β”œβ”€β”€ 1.1 - Audio: AAC-LC/English
    β”œβ”€β”€ 1.1.1 - Int. Sub:SubRip/English
    β”œβ”€β”€ 1.1.2 - Int. Sub:SubRip/Japanese Subs
    β”œβ”€β”€ 1.2 - Audio: AAC-LC/Japanese
    β”œβ”€β”€ 1.2.1 - Int. Sub:SubRip/English
    β”œβ”€β”€ 1.2.2 - Int. Sub:SubRip/Japanese Subs
    β”œβ”€β”€ 2 -  MEncoder Video
    β”œβ”€β”€ 2.1 - Audio: AAC-LC/English
    β”œβ”€β”€ 2.1.1 - Int. Sub:SubRip/English
    β”œβ”€β”€ 2.1.2 - Int. Sub:SubRip/Japanese Subs
    β”œβ”€β”€ 2.2 - Audio: AAC-LC/Japanese
    β”œβ”€β”€ 2.2.1 - Int. Sub:SubRip/English
    β”œβ”€β”€ 2.2.2 - Int. Sub:SubRip/Japanese Subs
	...etc
This keeps the most used options in the main directory, but allows access to all the other options for testing/experimentation.

Also could some of this information can be added to the thumbnails so it can bee seen at a quick glance? (was going to post a mock up but can't attach files on this section)
For the chapter thumbnails, can they be generated for that point in the chapter instead of just showing the file thumbnail?
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
sdabrams3

Post by sdabrams3 »

Speed Limiter Properties

Options - Settings - Network - Speed Limiter Properties
Please update the slidebar speed limiter properties to 1GB with the increased speeds now available to home users, 200Mbps of data is very slow by todays standards. Would like to be able to set the speed limiter to 900Mbps or therefore still leave the rest of the house 100Mbps to use for streaming movies and tv.

Thank you :)
Scott
boss

Post by boss »

I think all effort should be put into fixing the issues which have been present for a long time.
The last version which works OK for me is 7.4.
In particular, the issue where java crashes due to the memory problem after a few days when running UMS on a 24/7 server.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Thanks everyone for your responses, there are some really good suggestions here. There is no shortage of exciting work for us going forward. Keep watching for new announcements and thanks again! :D

I will continue to check this thread in case anyone has more suggestions