Version 4.0.0-a1 is released

Announcements about Universal Media Server
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Version 4.0.0-a1 is released

Post by SubJunk »

General:

This release adds a web interface (visit localhost:9001 while running UMS to use it), improves transcoding speed and stability by default, adds and improves support for many more renderers and more!

Download:

Windows
Linux
OS X

Changes since 3.6.2:
  • General:
    • Added a web interface, available at localhost:9001
    • Added a new transcoding option to allow H.264 video with AAC audio
    • Added documentation for more renderer options to PS3.conf (CustomFFmpegOptions and OverrideVideoFilter)
    • Added support for configuring whether UMS can run just one or multiple instances
    • Changed the names of transcoding options in renderer config files for clarity
    • Output surround audio (AC-3) instead of stereo (MP2) when using VLC (needs testing)
    • Enabled subtitles in VLC (thanks, tdcosta100!)
    • Made FFmpeg the default transcoding engine
    • Improved the TextWrap function, which makes filenames fit better on certain renderers
    • Fixed padding in FFmpeg for DVD video resolution
  • Renderers:
    • Added support for Google Chromecast
    • Added support for nPlayer, skifta and TwonkyBeam on portable Apple devices (thanks, MattDetroit!)
    • Added support for LG LM620 TVs (thanks, michal-sapsa!)
    • Added support for Sony Bravia W7 series TVs (thanks, shtirlic!)
    • Improved support for OPPO devices
    • Improved support for Panasonic TX-L32V10E TVs
  • Languages:
    • Updated Spanish translation (thanks, AlfredoRamos!)
  • External Components:
    • Updated Apache commons-lang to 3.3.2, which:
      • Fixes bugs
    • Updated Logback to 1.1.2, which:
      • Fixes bugs
    • Updated Maven Git Commit ID Plugin to 2.1.9
    • Updated Netty to 3.9.1, which:
      • Fixes bugs
    • Updated slf4j to 1.7.7
Madoka

Re: Version 4.0.0-a1 is released

Post by Madoka »

ffmpeg default engine? Interesting. I had some minor subtitle issues before (mainly weird sizes), but maybe they're fixed. Going to check it out. Thanks SJ!

Quick observations, will try to post debug later.

1. I can still run multiple instances of UMS on Win7 64-bit, 7u55 64-bit.
2. FFmpeg will ignore external subtitles if remux with tsmuxer is checked. Embedded subtitles like in anime work fine. Unchecking remux with tsmuxer will enable external subtitles to work. But .srt subtitles will not use the color selected in the subtitles settings tab. I like yellow subtitles, and mencoder will give me yellow .srt subtitles.
3. Checking fontconfig will work fine with anime and embedded subs, but will hang the program with no picture with external .srt subs. It will result in gigantic subs with .ass subs.
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

Is FFMpeg so much better than MEncoder? I've never had any problems with MEncoder..
SharkHunter
Developer

Post by SharkHunter »

Madoka - Do you got any logs when you try single inst? When it occurs (that is you get the 2 ums) run this cmd in a cmd shell

Code: Select all

tasklist /FI /V /NH /FO CSV
I've seen no problems with subs (and I use them all the time) and ffmpeg. Used ffmpeg with subs close to a year now. But any way logs,logs,logs

SuperDre - Mencoder uses ffmpeg underneath (I think). FFMpeg is the de facto standard in this area. I had some issues with mencoder that ffmpeg could handle.
We reject: kings, presidents and voting.
We believe in: rough consensus and running code.
DeFlanko

Post by DeFlanko »

This is a Big step into the right direction for UMS. Good job team.
Espionage724

Post by Espionage724 »

Hmm, any tips on how the Chromecast support should work? UMS doesn't show Chromecast as an available renderer, but the Chromecast itself is turned on currently (and connected to the same router as my desktop; I can see the Chromecast via Google Cast).
Madoka

Post by Madoka »

After I get 2 instances of UMS, typing that line in a command prompt gives me a syntax error for /FI and no output.

I don't see where I can attach my debug logs in this thread...maybe I need to be out of this forum?
Wolfgan

Post by Wolfgan »

Thanks for the test release!
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )
Chyaddo

Post by Chyaddo »

:D :D :D :D :D
Last edited by Chyaddo on Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SharkHunter
Developer

Post by SharkHunter »

I made the switch to ffmpeg some time ago and the reason was that there were a lot of files that didn't play in mencoder. FFmpeg had subs issues (no support basically) but now it supports subs (at least the once I use). Anyway it is just the default encoder that is switched. If mencoder is better for you can switch to it real easy. FFmpeg is better for most types of videos (I think).

Madoka - sorry the /FI should be removed it requires an arg which UMS has. Start a new thread in the windows support forum (I think you can upload logs there)
We reject: kings, presidents and voting.
We believe in: rough consensus and running code.