Version 4.0.0-a1 is released

Announcements about Universal Media Server
User avatar
DeFlanko
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:43 am
Location: San Pedro, CA
Contact:

Re: Version 4.0.0-a1 is released

Post by DeFlanko » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:45 am

Espionage724 wrote:Hmm, any tips on how the Chromecast support should work? UMS doesn't show Chromecast as an available renderer, but the Chromecast itself is turned on currently (and connected to the same router as my desktop; I can see the Chromecast via Google Cast).
I can answer that.

So how Chromecast works is that, by the nature of Chromecast you need a device to be its "Remote" in this case we built a ChromeCast_Avia.conf to be that (yes i understand that Avia is a paid app on android... there are a few free ones that work too)

the tricky part in discovery about Chromecast is that it needed TWO Confs for it to work.. one for the Chromecast dongle and one for the app you're running. Simply though, they're the same conf contents.

so you run the app, ums shows the app icon, then play your video to the chromcast device, chromecast icon shows up.

User avatar
pipin
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Version 4.0.0-a1 is released

Post by pipin » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:49 am

Great work.

Version seems a bit slower in displaying the files list though.

I had some glitches during the installation cause two files could not be written to the install directory (Error opening file for writing): wrapper.exe and mediainfo.dll .

Edit:

One Question: Is there an option to deactivate the webinterface?
Regards,
Jens
-----------
Devices used with UMS : - Windows 10 PC, Samsung UE32 F4580SS, Samsung UE48H6600

User avatar
DeFlanko
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:43 am
Location: San Pedro, CA
Contact:

Re: Version 4.0.0-a1 is released

Post by DeFlanko » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:54 am

pipin wrote:Great work.

Version seems a bit slower in displaying the files list though.

I had some glitches during the installation cause two files could not be written to the install directory (Error opening file for writing): wrapper.exe and mediainfo.dll .

Edit:

One Question: Is there an option to deactivate the webinterface?
Just curious, but, why would you want to?

User avatar
nenito2k
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 4:08 am

Re: Version 4.0.0-a1 is released

Post by nenito2k » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:54 pm

damn...still no MEDE8er X3D support :? Guess will try making a conf file this WEEK end....

anyway thanx for all this....

I HAVE a question to all UMS users :

Does it works as smoothly on PS3 as it does on other renderers ? or does it depends on the Soc & RAM of these renderers?

My concern is mainly HEVC! UMS does a very fine job with this (given the situation that encoding softwares are not even optimized!)

BUT why does HEVC only transcodes when i stream with PS3 ????
It does not work on panasonic TV, it does not work on samsung, and it does not work on WDTV....and not on Mede8er


So i ask again, do some functions ONLY work cause PS3 is very powerful or am i missing something ?!!!!!!

User avatar
DeFlanko
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:43 am
Location: San Pedro, CA
Contact:

Re: Version 4.0.0-a1 is released

Post by DeFlanko » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:44 am

nenito2k wrote:damn...still no MEDE8er X3D support :? Guess will try making a conf file this WEEK end....

anyway thanx for all this....

I HAVE a question to all UMS users :

Does it works as smoothly on PS3 as it does on other renderers ? or does it depends on the Soc & RAM of these renderers?

My concern is mainly HEVC! UMS does a very fine job with this (given the situation that encoding softwares are not even optimized!)

BUT why does HEVC only transcodes when i stream with PS3 ????
It does not work on panasonic TV, it does not work on samsung, and it does not work on WDTV....and not on Mede8er


So i ask again, do some functions ONLY work cause PS3 is very powerful or am i missing something ?!!!!!!
(correct me if im wrong)

what the simplest way of explaining the process flow...

UMS uses CONF files as A Rule.

First UMS determines the useragent... which then it tries to match up a renderer conf file to it.

Next the options in "mediainfo = true" if listed there then those files are the ones that get streamed (which generally require minimal resources [ram, processor]) whereas everything else gets transcoded to something usable based on the "TranscodeVideo" setting

in short the PS3.conf explaines every configurable settings for a CONF. :)

User avatar
nenito2k
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 4:08 am

Re: Version 4.0.0-a1 is released

Post by nenito2k » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:07 am

do you have the skills and time to make one ? :D for us ?
Last edited by nenito2k on Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vallimar
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:15 pm

Re: Version 4.0.0-a1 is released

Post by Vallimar » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:59 am

SharkHunter wrote:I made the switch to ffmpeg some time ago and the reason was that there were a lot of files that didn't play in mencoder. FFmpeg had subs issues (no support basically) but now it supports subs (at least the once I use). Anyway it is just the default encoder that is switched. If mencoder is better for you can switch to it real easy. FFmpeg is better for most types of videos (I think).
Would it be possible to have a more configurable 'default renderer' based on extension or other factors/filters?
For instance, FFmpeg is still problematic when trying to handle .ssa/.ass subs. It either does a poor job, or a disastrous one.
If all you have are basic .srt or vob subs, then it works okay as those don't have any formatting/font information to deal with.
So, ideally, I would have a filter rule that would essentially say any .mkv files with .ssa or .ass subs, play with mencoder, else default to ffmpeg. Would something like this be feasible to implement?

User avatar
SharkHunter
Developer
Posts: 669
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:36 pm

Re: Version 4.0.0-a1 is released

Post by SharkHunter » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:10 am

Vallimar wrote:
SharkHunter wrote:I made the switch to ffmpeg some time ago and the reason was that there were a lot of files that didn't play in mencoder. FFmpeg had subs issues (no support basically) but now it supports subs (at least the once I use). Anyway it is just the default encoder that is switched. If mencoder is better for you can switch to it real easy. FFmpeg is better for most types of videos (I think).
Would it be possible to have a more configurable 'default renderer' based on extension or other factors/filters?
For instance, FFmpeg is still problematic when trying to handle .ssa/.ass subs. It either does a poor job, or a disastrous one.
If all you have are basic .srt or vob subs, then it works okay as those don't have any formatting/font information to deal with.
So, ideally, I would have a filter rule that would essentially say any .mkv files with .ssa or .ass subs, play with mencoder, else default to ffmpeg. Would something like this be feasible to implement?
You always have the #--TRANSCODE--# folder where you can choose your render dynamically. And then you can order your encoders in whatever order suits you. For me I have no problem with ffmpeg+subs (I use mostly srt files).
But then of course you could invent all kinds of trix but that would be very hard to do. And all would still not be pleased. Saying that srt don't have font issues is a bit wrong. I see colors,italic etc. but then again I'm not that picky as long as it looks ok and is in sync.
We reject: kings, presidents and voting.
We believe in: rough consensus and running code.

User avatar
DeFlanko
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:43 am
Location: San Pedro, CA
Contact:

Re: Version 4.0.0-a1 is released

Post by DeFlanko » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:42 am

nenito2k wrote:do you have the skills and time to lake one ? :D for us ?
Do you have the money to send me a device to test with? 8-)

User avatar
nenito2k
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 4:08 am

Re: Version 4.0.0-a1 is released

Post by nenito2k » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:04 am

i see..will try to do something here on my side

Post Reply