Version 5.0.0-b1 is released

Announcements about Universal Media Server
ExSport

Re: Version 5.0.0-b1 is released

Post by ExSport »

Tip: You should create debug.log in trace mode from a1 and also from b1 versions so developers can compare them what exactly differs, what to fix.
RMcV

Post by RMcV »

ExSport wrote:Tip: You should create debug.log in trace mode from a1 and also from b1 versions so developers can compare them what exactly differs, what to fix.
Thank you Exsport, I will.
RMcV

Re: 5.0.0-b1 does not successfully play next video

Post by RMcV »

RMcV wrote:I installed UMS 5-a1 and the play next video in folder worked like a charm, however, when I installed 5-b1 this function fails with a popup saying "video cannot be played". The videos are the precise same files in both cases. The files are MKVs with 1080p AVC and 2 ch AC-3. The Android client is eHomeMediaCenter v2.0.23_121109. The Android device is an MK808.

I hope you can fix this so that I can install your future versions.

Thanks.
I have created debug logs for my problem quoted above by starting one video, scrubbing forward to the last minute and letting the next video start automatically. I f you have any questions, let me know. The link below is to a zip containing both logs, (i.e. log for 5-a1 and log for 5-b1).
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/251 ... 20Logs.zip

Thanks for taking a look.
wongnog

Post by wongnog »

Late-Z wrote:Somethings different on Xbox One, I can no longer stream .mkv:s without transcoding. I could do this fine on the 5.0aplha. When I open the GUI there are 2 instances of the Xbox One and when clicking them the other one has the play controls and the other one obly has the used .conf line.
I noticed this too. I also noticed that UMS detects the Xbox as a render but chooses the Sony-Xperia.conf file (and icon) instead. I unchecked Sony Xperia as a renderer, restarted UMS and then it used the correct Microsoft-XboxOne.conf file. Voila fixed!

The only thing I noticed is the conf file shows ThumbnailSize = 128x128, which makes for pretty crappy looking thumbnails. Simply commenting out this line made everything look infinitely better! I did find that the thumbnails were always stretched to a 1:1 ratio, and selecting "Use MPlayer for video thumbnails" in the GUI didn't make a difference.

Finally, I noticed that UMS was transcoding all my MKV files for the Xbox whether it had AC3 audio or DTS. I understand that the XBone DLNA doesn't support DTS 5.1 but that it should support AC3 5.1. I tried adding .mkv to the setting for skip transcoding, but then the Xbone wouldn't even see the files. Going to try mucking around in the .conf file to see if I can solve this...

[update] I couldn't get it to work in beta 1, so I reverted back to alpha 1 and everything is working fine. I tried using the XboxOne.conf file from alpha 1 in beta 1 but it made no difference.
inuya5ha

Post by inuya5ha »

I'm afraid to try it, I already have enough problems with version 4.x streaming to a Bravia TV.

Also, almost for sure I'll be disappointed by the GUI, because the current one just hurts my eyes every time I open it. Someone please provide a small screenshot (320x240 will do) just to make sure the interface remains a total nonsense of assorted options throwed randomly without any consideration whatsoever for terms like usability and practical design, thank you.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: 5.0.0-b1 does not successfully play next video

Post by SubJunk »

RMcV wrote:
RMcV wrote:I installed UMS 5-a1 and the play next video in folder worked like a charm, however, when I installed 5-b1 this function fails with a popup saying "video cannot be played". The videos are the precise same files in both cases. The files are MKVs with 1080p AVC and 2 ch AC-3. The Android client is eHomeMediaCenter v2.0.23_121109. The Android device is an MK808.

I hope you can fix this so that I can install your future versions.

Thanks.
I have created debug logs for my problem quoted above by starting one video, scrubbing forward to the last minute and letting the next video start automatically. I f you have any questions, let me know. The link below is to a zip containing both logs, (i.e. log for 5-a1 and log for 5-b1).
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/251 ... 20Logs.zip

Thanks for taking a look.
Thanks for the logs :) I may have fixed the issue, please check this version: http://www.spirton.com/uploads/UMS/UMS-b043867.exe
wongnog wrote:
Late-Z wrote:Somethings different on Xbox One, I can no longer stream .mkv:s without transcoding. I could do this fine on the 5.0aplha. When I open the GUI there are 2 instances of the Xbox One and when clicking them the other one has the play controls and the other one obly has the used .conf line.
I noticed this too. I also noticed that UMS detects the Xbox as a render but chooses the Sony-Xperia.conf file (and icon) instead. I unchecked Sony Xperia as a renderer, restarted UMS and then it used the correct Microsoft-XboxOne.conf file. Voila fixed!

The only thing I noticed is the conf file shows ThumbnailSize = 128x128, which makes for pretty crappy looking thumbnails. Simply commenting out this line made everything look infinitely better! I did find that the thumbnails were always stretched to a 1:1 ratio, and selecting "Use MPlayer for video thumbnails" in the GUI didn't make a difference.

Finally, I noticed that UMS was transcoding all my MKV files for the Xbox whether it had AC3 audio or DTS. I understand that the XBone DLNA doesn't support DTS 5.1 but that it should support AC3 5.1. I tried adding .mkv to the setting for skip transcoding, but then the Xbone wouldn't even see the files. Going to try mucking around in the .conf file to see if I can solve this...

[update] I couldn't get it to work in beta 1, so I reverted back to alpha 1 and everything is working fine. I tried using the XboxOne.conf file from alpha 1 in beta 1 but it made no difference.
That's strange behavior, logs would be helpful :)
inuya5ha wrote:I'm afraid to try it, I already have enough problems with version 4.x streaming to a Bravia TV.

Also, almost for sure I'll be disappointed by the GUI, because the current one just hurts my eyes every time I open it. Someone please provide a small screenshot (320x240 will do) just to make sure the interface remains a total nonsense of assorted options throwed randomly without any consideration whatsoever for terms like usability and practical design, thank you.
When people have suggestions about this program, they will often find that my fellow developers and I are willing to spend a lot of our time implementing those suggestions and fixing those bugs. I say "our time" because we don't get paid and we have day jobs.
When I see a rude post like yours, it makes me want to spend my time helping someone who is more polite and grateful, like the two people above.
There is an up to date screenshot of our redesigned Status tab on our About page, and I replied to the thread you made with the layout suggestion.
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

@SubJunk you are so pollite. I would say go to the hell. If you don't like this SW why do you use it?
wongnog

Post by wongnog »

+1 @SubJunk you really are a nice and polite developer! I'm constantly surprised to see someone post a problem, provide some logs, and your next reply is the fix will be released soon in the next version. Or you even attach a beta build to try! Truly outstanding I must say.

As for my XbOne, I think the Sony xperia detection thing was only a one time occurrence as I haven't experienced it since, and I've been uninstalling and reinstalling UMS multiple times to try the different builds (always doing a clean install mind you). I'll try sending you logs, but will there be a new v5 beta soon to incorporate the fixes from the latest v4.4?

[update] Doh never mind didn't realize that v5 final was just released! :D