Version 4.3.1 is released

Announcements about Universal Media Server
Paradox

Re: Version 4.3.1 is released

Post by Paradox »

fastriv wrote:
Paradox wrote:Bravia EX profile still broken when using Mencoder on some files, command line needs altering back to version 4.20 and prior, it should be...

Code: Select all

CustomMencoderOptions = -vf softskip,expand=::::1:16/9:2,scale=1283:720 -lavcopts aspect=16/9
the "-lavcopts aspect=16/9" bit is needed for certain x264 files written with lav library, normally packed as .MKV files. NO idea why it was removed it 4.30 and also 4.31. Suspect it dates back to the 4.21 and 4.22 tinkering which was a mess up.

No idea why the Xbox 360 conf (as mentioned above) was altered either, that system has NEVER supported h.264 in an AVI container or as MOV so why that was added under supported formats is a mystery also. Some user suggestions (i assume thats what it was) really do need more checking before things get implemented in new releases.
Hi,
I has got a Sony EX520. The aspect ratio come out wrong: two large black areas above and below with .mkv
There is one thing I don't understand.....
I deactivated the "hide code engine" so I can watch on TV which is the encoder used. As default FFMpeg.
I set first priority mEncoder, in "Trascode setting", I restarted all (TV and UMS), but again the encoder showed was FFMpeg.
Then is it no possible to test or use mEncoder?

Meanwhile, could you give me last UMS version and Sony braviaEX .conf file that has solved the aspect ratio?
Unfortunately I didn't keep the old versions.... that solved this problem.
Thank you.
What sony conf file is your device using? Are you sure it is the BraviaEX.conf? If so on the latest version rename "Sony-BraviaEX.conf" to "Sony-BraviaEX.original" open that file and change the "CustomMencoderOptions " line to read

Code: Select all

CustomMencoderOptions = -vf softskip,expand=::::1:16/9:2,scale=1283:720 -lavcopts aspect=16/9
Then save that file as "altered.Sony-BraviaEX.conf" in your renderers folder

What happens now?
fastriv

Post by fastriv »

What sony conf file is your device using? Are you sure it is the BraviaEX.conf? If so on the latest version rename "Sony-BraviaEX.conf" to "Sony-BraviaEX.original" open that file and change the "CustomMencoderOptions " line to read
CODE: SELECT ALL

Then save that file as "altered.Sony-BraviaEX.conf" in your renderers folder

What happens now?
Thank Paradox for support.
I see that UMS recognize correctly the device "Sony Bravia EX", like a RendererName in .conf file. So I suppose that it is using the correct .conf file. Is it right?
However I followed your suggestions, using:
but unfortunately nothing change. The ratio is stretched again.
I can tell you that a old version of UMS (I don't know :? ) and your suggestion in previous posts operated correctly!
I try also to disable FFmpeg engine, so to force the use of mEncoder. But nothing again...
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

fastriv wrote:Hi,
I has got a Sony EX520. The aspect ratio come out wrong: two large black areas above and below with .mkv
There is one thing I don't understand.....
I deactivated the "hide code engine" so I can watch on TV which is the encoder used. As default FFMpeg.
I set first priority mEncoder, in "Trascode setting", I restarted all (TV and UMS), but again the encoder showed was FFMpeg.
Then is it no possible to test or use mEncoder?
Hi fastriv, did you click "Save" after you changed MEncoder to the top engine?
Paradox wrote:No i did not need to check the log files
Log files will help me see why -lavcopts aspect=16/9 isn't being applied, since it should be added despite it not being in the renderer config anymore.
Paradox wrote:As to the 360......
Thanks for the suggestions :) The Xbox 360 changes weren't random or the result of a user suggestion.
Paradox

Post by Paradox »

SubJunk wrote:
Paradox wrote:No i did not need to check the log files
Log files will help me see why -lavcopts aspect=16/9 isn't being applied, since it should be added despite it not being in the renderer config anymore.
Paradox wrote:As to the 360......
Thanks for the suggestions :) The Xbox 360 changes weren't random or the result of a user suggestion.
Ill return everything to a stock install of 4.3.1 later in the week and post a log of it playing that specific file i gave detail of to see if you can see anything amiss. For many files without -lavcopts aspect=16/9 things indeed will work fine but the odd file as described it still has issues with.

The Intel UPnP tools really are the best way to check DLNA PN support and get info for writing configs (give it a try ;) ) Device spy will get you the DLNA PNs supported and Device Sniffer can be used to get header info for each device.

@fastriv

I suggest a complete fresh uninstall and reinstall, If the following does not work.....

1) select the general configuration tab and place a tick in the "Run the configuration wizard (requries restart)" box
2) click save
3) close UMS and then reload/start it
4) Go through the wizard and answer as follows...
a) Would you like to run the configuration wizard = YES
b) Should UMS start minimized = NO
c) Does you Audio reciever support DTS = NO
d) Which of the following best descirbes your network = Select what you use IE wireless or wired (wired if you have it will perform better)
e) Should UMS hide its advanced options = NO

NOW go to the transcoding settings tab, move Mencoder under video files engine to the top of the list using the green arrows if it is not already and then click save

Now close/quit UMS and restart, again go to the transcoding tab and check Mencoder is still at the top of the list........ If it is NOT then the UMS.conf file is not saving changes properly (i had this happen to me once for some reason but it was in a much older version) the only way to fix it AFAIK is a complete uninstall and reinstall

If you reinstall follow previous instructions to change the sony conf file and then report back if changes work.

EDIT:
@SUBJUNK sorry for the delay with log files, the TV over christmas has been hogged by family lol will definately return to this in maybe a week or so.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

The OS X version is now available from the front page. Sorry for the delay