Version 4.4.0 is released

Announcements about Universal Media Server
inuya5ha

Re: Version 4.4.0 is released

Post by inuya5ha »

I'm always surprised by how often this program gets updated, and the huge amount of bug fixes that are listed in the change log of each release.

Yet, it's almost impossible to watch a single movie without problems on my Sony Bravia TV via WiFi. I constantly get slow motion video, unexpected "server has gone away" interruptions, and A/V desync. I'm using the MEncoder video engine (the only one provided) along with ridiculously low quality settings, under Windows XP.

Now, if the MEncoder engine is to be blamed, why the developers persist in using it as the default option? It all these problems can be solved with other engine, please replace the MEncoder with the one that works.

PS. I have not yet tried this version. I will, but I already update every 3 months and not a single problem is fixed so far. I also keep hoping for a less offensive GUI, not user-friendly or well designed, just less disgusting to the eye, if you know what I mean... but I always find the usual primitive interface full of useless and complex options that seem to be sorted by random criteria. Maybe the developers should hire a professional to deal with the GUI problem, I'm not a professional but I made many GUIs for VB6 software I developed, and I definitely know what NOT to do. I would need an entire sub-forum just to point out every single thing that is wrong with the GUI design.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

We made FFmpeg the default engine a long time ago, I recommend selecting the "Clean Install" option when you install UMS so you can benefit from improved defaults. It will also run the first-run wizard which should set some nice defaults.
The interface is definitely not pretty and could do with a redesign. In 5.0.0 we did a major redesign of the Status tab which I think went well, having said that though our priority is not in looking good (obviously :)), our priority is to have everything working perfectly.
I'll be happy to look into the issues you're having with your Bravia TV if they persist after a clean install, please let me know :)
jaskaho

Post by jaskaho »

I have had nothing but trouble with 4.4.0
I have a 60inch vizio smart tv that has never worked with UMS. It shows the folders and files but will not play.
I have a samsung smart bluray player that did work perfectly with UMS until new update.
I have PS3 that worked perfectly with UMS until new update.
I have samsung smart 40inch tv that worked perfectly until new update.
I reverted back to UMS 4.3.1 and seems everything is fine.
I have never changed default settings and have always started with clean install.
The new update would sit in loading status for what seemed like forever then it might start but not long after would just quit or freeze.
The only difference that I noticed was when installing, the recommended heap size used to be 768 and was now 1280
nickhere

Post by nickhere »

jaskaho you saying everything work for you with version 4.31. are all pics/image type transcode did the video feed for onion and ted work how about the audio podcast like engadget.
onion doesnt work for me yet
engadget not working yet
ted work with mecoder.

What bugs me the most is i have ant downloader and downloaderhelper add on for firefox.
once the video is downloaded to my pc . I can pick it up with ums and stream from a folder

not sure why ums has to convert everything for streaming.
not sure why the video choice is not dump to hard drive first and then converted.

I know the reason for encoding is upscale and audio conversion but what if we dont really need to.
I can just play raw from my tv media player
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

jaskaho wrote:I have had nothing but trouble with 4.4.0
I have a 60inch vizio smart tv that has never worked with UMS. It shows the folders and files but will not play.
I have a samsung smart bluray player that did work perfectly with UMS until new update.
I have PS3 that worked perfectly with UMS until new update.
I have samsung smart 40inch tv that worked perfectly until new update.
I reverted back to UMS 4.3.1 and seems everything is fine.
I have never changed default settings and have always started with clean install.
The new update would sit in loading status for what seemed like forever then it might start but not long after would just quit or freeze.
The only difference that I noticed was when installing, the recommended heap size used to be 768 and was now 1280
I'll be happy to work to resolve your issues. I test all releases on my renderers (PS3 and Panasonic TV) before release, and they are working with 4.4.0 for me, so there must be some unique cause for these issues for you.
Please follow the instructions in the "How to ask for support" link in my signature
jaskaho

Post by jaskaho »

Thank you for your reply, but for now I will stay with what works for me. I will, however send log info if I choose to update later. Again, thank you for your quick response.
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

Don't understand the logic 8-)
If you will not send logs, possible bug will not be never fixed and will go deeper and deeper in code so later it will be very hard to find this bug and fix it.
So without your help some can have same problem as you but will never know other version works so abandon UMS completely so bug will stay there and pop-up in unpredicted occasions.
If you will ever want to update later, more code will be added, more work will take to find the bug so maybe your problem will never be fixed.
To help yourself and also others, your contribution is very helpful.
Last word: There are big changes between v4 and v5. Finding bug in v4 will be probably easier than when you will jump to v5 and you will report that problem still arise.
Help yourself and also others, contribute with the log what is the smallest part how you can help make UMS better.
Crack

Post by Crack »

UMS incorrectly detects my Samsung H6400 (UE48H6400AW) as Samsung AllShare, despite there being a special profile for it.

There are two problems:
1. Profile order of Samsung devices:
[...]
01-19 23:49:23 : Samsung AllShare < I got this
01-19 23:49:23 : Samsung AllShare C/D
01-19 23:49:23 : Samsung BD-C6800
01-19 23:49:23 : Samsung D7000
01-19 23:49:23 : Samsung Galaxy S5
01-19 23:49:23 : Samsung H6400 < I should get this
[...]
I fixed this by adding LoadingPriority for this profile.

2. Unfortunately, depending on User-Agent for this device seems to be wrong, and currently there's no good way to reliably detect this TV in UMS. I don't remember what it was like on factory settings, but I can change this device's name only to one of predefined settings ("[TV]Samsung", "[TV]Kitchen"... no "H6400" here) or set "[TV]"+MyCustomName. After changing name to "H6400" I got the following headers:
TRACE 2015-01-20 00:22:26.164 [New I/O worker #1] Request: HTTP/1.1 : GET : description/fetch
TRACE 2015-01-20 00:22:26.189 [New I/O worker #1] Received on socket: HOST: 192.168.1.104:5001
TRACE 2015-01-20 00:22:26.190 [New I/O worker #1] Received on socket: ACCEPT-ENCODING: deflate
TRACE 2015-01-20 00:22:26.190 [New I/O worker #1] Received on socket: ACCEPT-LANGUAGE: en-us
TRACE 2015-01-20 00:22:26.190 [New I/O worker #1] Received on socket: User-Agent: SEC_HHP_[TV]H6400/1.0 DLNADOC/1.50
and finally TV was recognized correctly.

In properties of this device in Windows I see that there is some way to read model name: http://pl.tinypic.com/r/2djxrlt/8 (the same can be seen as "PnP-X model name" and "Physical device name", I don't know exact translation of these into English).

So, I have a feature request ;)
Please add some reliable way to detect Samsung devices (TVs / all recent?) OR allow to assign a renderer to concrete device, so instead of going through these two steps above I would be able to click on this device in UMS, choose proper renderer and be done with it.
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

Did you test new v5 beta? You should. Tip: Try to click on detected renderer images...
aey

Post by aey »

Thanks for the release.
I tried the new H6400 conf file that supports the H6400 Samsung. The TV plays about 10 to 30 seconds of transcoded streaming Web source (apparently depending on resolution of the source) and stops. Local files that do not require streaming play OK.
Transcoded streams play great on older Samsung and Philips TVs. The problem exists with 4.3.1 and 5.0 as well.
Is this a problem with DLNA implementation on the TV? Has anyone experienced the same problem? Any ideas?
Thanks