Version 5.0.0 is released

Announcements about Universal Media Server
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: Version 5.0.0 is released

Post by SubJunk »

Paradox wrote:Will try the alpha and beta 5.0 builds next week :) also notice the -lavcopts option in the bravia config has not been put back, will also look into that issue as previously promised at the same time and return to that conversation..... Thanks for your time subjunk :)
Cool, I'm looking forward to that feedback, thanks for testing :)
Phonism wrote:Just want to come back to this thread after using 5.0.0 since release. I have to say, this version is the best UMS by far. I have been throwing everything I could at it, but it's been nothing but fast and top knotch performance!
That's awesome! Thanks for letting us know :D
michaelt wrote:Upon launch every time I get the message:
Do you want the application “Universal Media Server.app” to accept incoming network connections?
followed by an administrator's name/passwd to get through the firewall protections.

What port(s) need to be opened up in the firewall? And why.
Who/what is communicating inbound?
Is this necessary? I don't like admin privs needed for an app to run.

thanx
In order for a media server to work it has to have two-way communication - your devices tell us which file they want to play, then we send it, for example.
AngelShine wrote:Hello, congrats for the new version!
There is an issue though. UMS version 5.0.0 is not choosing the right renderer for my TV. It is a LG 42LS5700-SB, I had provided a conf file for it and it was included with this version, which is awesome =) But it is not choosing the right conf file.

I had used the priority trick to make UMS choose my testing conf file, I see the included conf file in UMS 5.0.0 does not have that trick, but it did include some other difference related to agent and friendlyName, so I though that would cover it. I understand you can't distribute this conf file with priority, not everyone has my tv! :P

I tried this new version in a clean installation, and subtitles were not streaming, and video quality was worse, it was transcoding.
I checked detected media renderers and although I see the renderer named as '[TV]42LS5700-SB', clicking in its image it shows it is pointing to LS-LA6200.conf. After disabling that renderer it chooses LG-LA644V.conf and next LG-LM620. After disabling all of them one by one it finally chooses to use LS-LS5700.conf which is the one that makes subtitles stream and mantain perfect video quality, no transcoding required.

I could simply leave all of those renderers disabled, or re add the priority trick to my conf file. Is there any better option? One that would work for a new user of UMS with the same TV I own?

Thanks!
Hi AngelShine, I've added LoadingPriority to that renderer in the upcoming 5.0.1 release :)
AngelShine

Post by AngelShine »

SubJunk wrote:Hi AngelShine, I've added LoadingPriority to that renderer in the upcoming 5.0.1 release :)
Oh! You can do that? Won't that affect owners of the other LG TVs? LA6200, LA644V and LM620?
Anyway, it will surely work for me, so no complains here :D
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

AngelShine wrote:
SubJunk wrote:Hi AngelShine, I've added LoadingPriority to that renderer in the upcoming 5.0.1 release :)
Oh! You can do that? Won't that affect owners of the other LG TVs? LA6200, LA644V and LM620?
Anyway, it will surely work for me, so no complains here :D
The other TVs still won't be matched so it should be okay :)
michaelt

Post by michaelt »

SubJunk wrote:
michaelt wrote:Upon launch every time I get the message:
Do you want the application “Universal Media Server.app” to accept incoming network connections?
followed by an administrator's name/passwd to get through the firewall protections.

What port(s) need to be opened up in the firewall? And why.
Who/what is communicating inbound?
Is this necessary? I don't like admin privs needed for an app to run.

thanx
In order for a media server to work it has to have two-way communication - your devices tell us which file they want to play, then we send it, for example.
I understand the why and it may be required. I am asking for is someone to identify the port numbers so the firewall can be configured to allow access by the specific clients. It is a security risk to generally open ports on a well managed system. Some like to run open systems, I don't.

thanx
MacPro5,1 - 2.8 GHz, 32 GB, 20TB, OS X 10.11.6,
. . . . and a few others.
Samsung UN55C8000
Home Theater (WIP): OS X based now, dedicated Linux later.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

The port is customizable on the General Configuration tab, by default it's 5001
Paradox

Post by Paradox »

@subjunk As per prior posts here...
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2901&start=20#p14726
and
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2901&start=20#p14760

Ive now tried the version 5 alpha and betas, the alpha is slightly slower than 4.31 and 4.40 and the beta i would say is just as slow as the final 5.00 at displaying folders.
michaelt

Post by michaelt »

SubJunk wrote:The port is customizable on the General Configuration tab, by default it's 5001
I did some sniffing on the wire and noted the following inbound ports from my client (Samsung UN55C8000):

V4.4.0:
TCP - 5001 (all from :33296)
UDP -

V5.0.0:
TCP: - 5001, 53398-53401 (from 7 ports)
UDP - 50616

This is one reason why just opening :5001 did not work for me.
Is this going to be normal?
MacPro5,1 - 2.8 GHz, 32 GB, 20TB, OS X 10.11.6,
. . . . and a few others.
Samsung UN55C8000
Home Theater (WIP): OS X based now, dedicated Linux later.
simakuutio

Post by simakuutio »

Seems like 5.0 version no longer generate resume files... 4.4 did it properly but after playing several clips for testing in 5.0, no resume files were available when video was stopped.

Hopefully this is just a small clitch which is already fixed and available in next release (5.01 or something).

Everything else works just like a charm. Thank you!

EDIT: Tried same clips with 4.4 and resume were created properly. When installed 5.0 back, it didn't even notice those existing resume files... didn't do new ones either...

Let's see if 5.0.1 is doing any better :)