Our second poll!

Announcements about Universal Media Server

Which is the highest version of Java Runtime Environment on your computer?

JRE 7
95%
JRE 6
5%

Total votes: 76

kuroukage

Re: Our second poll!

Post by kuroukage »

SubJunk wrote:I was interested in whether you had some unique sources with information I hadn't seen but it seems not.
Why would you think I had some super secret information about Java bugs? It's been all over tech news for awhile now. I'm also confused as to why you think 6 is any more secure. If you look at the release notes for Java 7 and for Java 6 you'll find the patch notes are identical for the latest updates for both versions: 50 security fixes.
SubJunk wrote:Version 6 is still being updated along with version 7 and in terms of security the latest versions of the two releases are identical, so I don't know what the serious problem could be. Can you elaborate?
I did elaborate. Both were full of security flaws and both got patched. The difference I was pointing out is Java 6 is older and will no longer be supported soon after the final upcoming build. So why use an older version if 7 is now patched up and support for 6 is going to be discontinued soon?

Also, as you can tell from the poll, most people are using 7 now.
Last edited by kuroukage on Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
黒影
_______________________________________________|_._._._._._._._._._
\______________________________________________|_#_#_#_#_#_#_|
------------------------------------------------------------------|---------------------
sebos

Post by sebos »

Hi all,
Yes. agree with all comments: go to Java 7.

Just one more thing to consider: the OSX version.
As you probably (subjunk I'm sure you know it !), OSX Lion and Montain Lion use Java 6.
But, since the launch of Java 7, Java 7 can be easly setup (there is a DMG package provided by Oracle) and for sure, Java 6 will no more be deployed and maintained by Apple...
So, it's now easy (and a 'must do') to setup/install Java 7 on OSX Mac by directly download the package(JDK/JRE) from Apple.
I do that since the beginning of Java 7.

The problem currently with the source of UMS is that UMS use the "old but usual and safe" fashion to compile java and use the JavaStub launcher available on OSX based on... Java 6 :cry:
So, unfortunatly, even if I have Java 7 available, UMS will ALWAYS use the java 6 virtual machine to run UMS.

There are some efforts to do on the build to use the new AppBuilder (which is nearly like Javastub but not really !). Perhaps you need to update ant build or else (I'm not a java dev... sorry I cannot help you too much on this part.).

To conclude: go to Java 7 for the OSX build is nearly mandatory and is not a so big deal (I hope) but it's not transparent.
If I can help, I will... but anyway, thanks a lot and good luck.
regards.
Sebos
======================================
(freebox v5, LG Blu-ray BP420, Sony Bravia)
JohnnyGipsy

Post by JohnnyGipsy »

I use JRE 8 Beta.
IL2

Post by IL2 »

Don't you know that Java6 is autoupdated silently to Java7 starting from 7u11 breaking some apps doing that? http://www.jnbridge.com/jn/blog/2013/01 ... plications
Java6 is phased out, 6u39 is the last public update http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ ... 67051.html
I see no reason to built for Java6. Why do you think about Java security flaws in the 1st place? You've might already switched off Java support in browser.
As far as Java is detached from a browser, you use every day, it doesn't matter if it is secure or not.
As for security issues you might want to read this http://krebsonsecurity.com/2013/02/crit ... ity-holes/ and see there is no planned Java6 updates after February 2013.
To end on a positive note, you would have gained more targetting UMS for Java7.
calfmandooo

Post by calfmandooo »

I run UMS on a 2009 Macbook with a 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and 4GB 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM

(OSX 10.6.8)

And as far as i can tell the newest version of Java i can get is what they call "Java For Mac OS X 10.6 Update 12 to SE 6 1.6.0_39"

I assume thats the equivalent of JRE 6???

Well i chose JRE 6 in the poll for this reason.

Keep up the great work i can't thank you enough for such a great work of art you have created for us!! :D