Comparison page updated

Announcements about Universal Media Server
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Comparison page updated

Post by SubJunk »

I've been testing other popular media servers in order to bring their good ideas over to ours, and in the process of testing I've been adding to our Comparison of Media Servers page.
Lately I added Plex and KooRaRoo to the list.
It still needs to be completed more, but it gives a decent idea. Check it out here, and you can always access the page via our About page in the future.
kuroukage

Re: Comparison page updated

Post by kuroukage »

KooRaRoo? Sounds like something you'd name your pet chicken if you lived on a farm in the country. :P

Thanks for the update. I'll check it out. :)
黒影
_______________________________________________|_._._._._._._._._._
\______________________________________________|_#_#_#_#_#_#_|
------------------------------------------------------------------|---------------------
vulcan

Post by vulcan »

Hi. This server is very popular in Russia - http://www.homemediaserver.ru/index.htm
Maybe add it to compare.
But i don't no has it inglish language, or not.
Sitman

Post by Sitman »

UMS is my best pick of all time. Even better now I've built it with J7.

What kills me is other media "servers" seem to put all the effort into 'serving' on the same host. You know, install on your PC and and watch on it as well.

ALL my media server use is streaming to my TV and UMS does that fantastically.
sHawTY

Post by sHawTY »

Has anyone ever tried connecting Apple TV 3 with UMS?
Interested to know if it's possible. Or does ATV even support DLNA?

If it's possible, would love to buy ATV3.
Heard alot about XBMC, but too confusing when reading it's website.

Just hate PS3 Cinavia notification coming out ever so often.
umsfan

Post by umsfan »

I am a big fan of UMS, and have been using it since it first came out. I have also tried other media servers like Plex and Serviio in Windows 7 environment, and tested their transcoding ability.

Here are some area of improvements may be needed in the UMS:

1. Need to improve the transcoding ability. The UMS should be able to transcode on FLY with out using PMSENCODER. I would say transcoding like Plex, and Serviio which use an XML profile.
2. The UMS should be able to read the generic Renderer attached to the home network without any configuration file. For example Serviio detects my Jadoo TV IPTV Box automatically.
3. The JUMPY plugin needs to be enhanced so it can read the XBMC Navi-x plugin, and XBMC Movie section. At this time JUMPY only reads the XBMC Video Addons.
S7eele

Post by S7eele »

umsfan wrote:I am a big fan of UMS, and have been using it since it first came out. I have also tried other media servers like Plex and Serviio in Windows 7 environment, and tested their transcoding ability.

1. Need to improve the transcoding ability. The UMS should be able to transcode on FLY with out using PMSENCODER. I would say transcoding like Plex, and Serviio which use an XML profile.
2. The UMS should be able to read the generic Renderer attached to the home network without any configuration file. For example Serviio detects my Jadoo TV IPTV Box automatically.
3. The JUMPY plugin needs to be enhanced so it can read the XBMC Navi-x plugin, and XBMC Movie section. At this time JUMPY only reads the XBMC Video Addons.
Greets umsfan, regarding number three you might want to give the XBMC plugin a try. Not Jumpy-XBMC but the one labeled plain XBMC on the plugins page. It will give you access to the XBMC database files via UMS. I can't remember much of the detail but I had some success by making Navi-X a favorite within XBMC and then using UMS to browse to the Favorite folder using the XBMC plugin (I think :? ). Take a look on the Plugins page if you want to try it, I don't have much coding experience so maybe you will have better luck.

The main reason I wanted to reply was to let you know that just last night I played a film via Navi-X using the Channels plugin on UMS. It is not perfect but it does work. SharkHunter is awesome at answering posts and resolving issues quickly in the forum so if we use the channel and provide feedback (with logs) regarding issues found he will work his magic.
Peace!
kuroukage

Post by kuroukage »

umsfan wrote:3. The JUMPY plugin needs to be enhanced so it can read the XBMC Navi-x plugin, and XBMC Movie section. At this time JUMPY only reads the XBMC Video Addons.
That's a suggestion you should make in the Jumpy thread. ;)
黒影
_______________________________________________|_._._._._._._._._._
\______________________________________________|_#_#_#_#_#_#_|
------------------------------------------------------------------|---------------------
atmb82

Post by atmb82 »

I can confirm plex features where you put "?" or No.

That is:

DTS support Yes
Automatic plugin download/install YES
Unlimited folders on PS3 & Xbox YES
Maximum network bandwidth setting YES
DVD support YES
AC-3 remuxing (no re-encoding) YES
3D SBS video support YES
SharkHunter
Developer

Post by SharkHunter »

umsfan wrote:I am a big fan of UMS, and have been using it since it first came out. I have also tried other media servers like Plex and Serviio in Windows 7 environment, and tested their transcoding ability.

1) Last time I check neither serviio CAN'T stream web content WITHOUT a plugin either (http://www.serviio.org/index.php?option ... icle&id=42). So UMS does nothing different here.
2) UMS norammly detects renders but it calls them "unknown render". It should still stream to it.
3) Like S7eele says Channels supports NaviX. Now the PMSEncoder and mencoder etc. has had issues supporting all formats etc. As ffmpeg now supports more (and better web options) hopefully more of NaviX should work. But there are 2000 zillions of reasons that a NaviX video might fail. I leave the Jumpy discussion with warm hands to infidel :)
We reject: kings, presidents and voting.
We believe in: rough consensus and running code.