PS4, UMS and you

General discussion about Universal Media Server (no support or requests)
Optimus_prime

PS4, UMS and you

Post by Optimus_prime »

Hi all,
Just wanted to share some of the bad news that i've just read about the PS4.
I, i'm sure like many, would maybe replace my PS3 with a new PS4. But sadly no, due to it's lack of support for DLNA.
The PS4 can’t stream audio and video files from a PC over DLNA
Another PS3 media feature that’s missing from the PS4 is the lack of DLNA support, which will be disappointing to anyone who planned to use their PS4 as a media hub for their living room. These days, chances are good that you have some other devices hooked up to your TV that do largely the same thing. Still, it’s a disappointing rollback.
If your unaware you can read more here http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/10/1 ... e-ps4-faq/
about the lack of features included or stuff that is included.

Sony, i'm bitterly disappointed, but i suppose i just have to stick with my still great PS3.
How Ask For Support
Remember, Debug Log's Can/Will Help and Explain your issues, we're not mind reader's but here to help
OS's I Use And Can Assist With: Windows 7/8, Mac OS-X 10.8 & 10.9
Mac OS-X Java 7 Builds Mac OS-X Java 7 Forum
Ohsem

Re: PS4, UMS and you

Post by Ohsem »

Ah yes, I was about to ask UMS staff regarding this 'interesting' move made by Sony with their PS4 and how it will affect UMS's future development.

From what I understand, Sony wants the consumer to use their online store, which means you have to pay to watch movies now. From business view, they have rights for that.

But for someone like me who has limited budget, living in a country with a slow broadband connection, this definitely means 'game over' for me if I want to enjoy my movie/audio experience like I did with my PS3 + UMS on PS4. Which means no next-gen console purchase for me for the time being :\

I really hope that Sony will change their mind and include DLNA support again in future firmware updates.
Whogie

Post by Whogie »

I've been following this obsessively:
There's been a big backlash (~70 page thread on GAF) and Sony has taken notice. They added a line to their FAQ:
PS4 FAQ wrote:Will PS4 support media servers or DLNA support in order to stream videos or movies from a home PC?
The PS4 system does not support client functionality* for media servers.
*We appreciate your feedback and are exploring possibilities.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/ ... h-america/

And Yoshida has been posting about it on Twitter:
Shuhei Yoshida ‏@yosp wrote: Had a very good discussion w the PS4 Dev team today. We're happy & appreciative to learn so many people use and like PS3's media features.
Point is, they'll likely add it in later.

Xbox One on the other hand is already confirmed to support PlayTo, which gives good hope for normal DLNA functionality.
DeFlanko

Post by DeFlanko »

its a good thing we're Universal Media Server and not those other guys. :)

Im sure once the PS4 is released we'll find a way! Im optimistic.
Madoka

Post by Madoka »

Well, this is truly disappointing news. I use my PS3 way more for video streaming than playing games. Now I can hold off on getting a PS4 until they add DNLA support or there's finally a game I have to play on it.
Gareee

Post by Gareee »

In the mean time I figured out how to stream to my gaming pc which is also on my tv. There is a plugin for UMS that supports xbmc, and its a desktop kind of like what you see on the ps3 for videos, music, pics and the like.

It took a little getting used to to set up, but I can stream to the gaming pc now, so if the never add it to the ps4, I can deal now.
Whogie

Post by Whogie »

So it seems the XB1 only has PlayTo, so UMS doesn't work on it either.
Kilmer

Post by Kilmer »

Any updates on a possible PS4 solution? I miss UMS on the Playstation =/
DeFlanko

Post by DeFlanko »

well currently none of us have a PS4 to test with... sooo if anyone wants to be nice and send us a few to test with then sure we can see what we can do from there =)
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

Where you took your PS4 supports DLNA/UPnP? Or new fw version adding this feature is already out? I don't suppose...