So I was able to get v9.3.1 working in Windows Server 2003 SP1

General discussion about Universal Media Server (no support or requests)
28BytesLater

So I was able to get v9.3.1 working in Windows Server 2003 SP1

Post by 28BytesLater »

Definitely an edge case but I brought this old PC out of retirement which I originally built ten years ago, and it has everything configured the way I like it so why not use it again. I upped the processor (which literally was $6 on E-Bay) and wanted to use it to stream to my PS3 while I build a new tower. I was able to get v9.3.1 working on it almost out of the box, the only issued I encountered was the FFmpeg dll which was throwing a error due to from what I can tell a function call in which the function did not exist in older versions of msft's redistributable package of C++ (something to the effect of ws_open cannot be found). After installing nearly every one through Visual Studio 2015/17/19 and having no effect, I dropped the 2015 era dll in from the earlier version of UMS (I think 5.3.2) and after a reboot the UMS no longer is throwing a warning on the transcoder tab. Thought maybe someone would find this interesting, thanks.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: So I was able to get v9.3.1 working in Windows Server 2003 SP1

Post by SubJunk »

Hi, thanks for letting us know. What's the DLL?
28BytesLater

Re: So I was able to get v9.3.1 working in Windows Server 2003 SP1

Post by 28BytesLater »

Hi, thanks for responding. The file in question was the FFMPEG.exe file. The version I got working has a build date of 7/12/2015 and I have it set to XP Compatibility (sorry forgot about compatibility mode). The error occurred when double clicking the exe file, a command prompt jumped up and then threw an error (mencoder and other exes would pop up a command prompt and then exit). The error was in relation to the _wfopen_s function but I didn't jot down the exact message. I found a post from 2016 in Google talking about this function, it sounded like something that was added at some point around that time and may be missing in previous versions of the language.