UMS and VPN for Netflix?

General discussion about Universal Media Server (no support or requests)
ClausD

UMS and VPN for Netflix?

Post by ClausD »

Hi all,

I wonder if it's possible to use UMS in combination with a VPN? And what would be the best way to set it up. Should I try to configure OpenVPN on the WiFi router and then connect the UMS via the WiFi, or should I do it on the machine running UMS? My goal is to get an IP from Sneakflix VPN that supposedly will let me watch the American version of Netflix from Europe.

Cheers, Claus
Last edited by ClausD on Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
binzoman

Re: UMS and VPN for Netflix?

Post by binzoman »

I recently went into similar situation so here is what i did... I have installed and setup VPN Server on my home PC and its Client on my notebook. I have managed to establish connection and I can access other devices on my network mainly to access foreign channels. To be sure, my notebook is connected to the internet through my phone hotspot. So far so good. The problem occurs when I try to access service that is running on my Home PC/VPN Server. For example, I have web interface for Universal media server running on port 9001. IP of home PC/VPN Server is 192.168.0.3. If I try to access 192.168.0.3:9001 from any other device on my home network it works, but if I try to do it from notebook while connected through VPN it doesn't. If I disable VPN connection and connect to home network Wi-Fi, everything works. After couple of attempts the solution was rather simple to add second IP (in my case 192.168.0.99) in Network Adapter -> Properties -> Internet Protocol 4 -> Advanced -> IP -> Add. Once I did that I forced all other servers that use specific IP to use 192.168.0.99 instead of 192.168.0.3.