Streaming from laptop to ps3 using nexus 5 as wifi hotspot

General discussion about Universal Media Server (no support or requests)
scar69

Streaming from laptop to ps3 using nexus 5 as wifi hotspot

Post by scar69 »

Hello all,

I want to stream movies to my PS3 when I'm at work but the only internet connection I have there is through a cell phone booster and using my phone as a wifi hotspot for the laptop and ps3. I'm pretty sure the connection is fast enough but would the streaming go onto my data plan. I have a 6GB per month data limit and don't want to be going over because they really soak you with extra charges. Thanks
sapsa

Re: Streaming from laptop to ps3 using nexus 5 as wifi hotsp

Post by sapsa »

I really dont get what you want to do.

You want to stream movie from laptop to PS3 while you are in work, but Your only internet connection at home is the cellphone that u use at work? If so, the its imposible, because you dont have any internet access at home.

You could use tasker for streaming movies from laptop to ps3 when you are at work, but you would need a wifi router at home, to make laptop and ps3 in one network.

If its not what you want, then sorry
server: C2D [email protected] 3GB RAM
network: wired 1000MB/s
render: LG 55LM620S, Samsung LE40C650, PS3
DeFlanko

Post by DeFlanko »

Sounds like you want to hotspot your phone so your PS3 and your laptop can connect?
--well then hotspot your phone, and connect to it on your PS3 and laptop via wireless.
--Run UMS on your laptop
--Check to see if UMS Shows up on PS3
--Play video.

Its all local traffic so it shouldn't use your 6GB data. You're basically turning your phone into an Access Point... but able to have the two devices Internet connectivity as well.

I haven't tested this setup but logically it sounds like it could work.
sapsa

Post by sapsa »

DeFlanko wrote:Sounds like you want to hotspot your phone so your PS3 and your laptop
scar69 wrote:I want to stream movies to my PS3 when I'm at work
If it's the way DeFlanko said that this setup will work, but your phone will get really hot in no time
scar69

Post by scar69 »

DeFlanko wrote:Sounds like you want to hotspot your phone so your PS3 and your laptop can connect?
--well then hotspot your phone, and connect to it on your PS3 and laptop via wireless.
--Run UMS on your laptop
--Check to see if UMS Shows up on PS3
--Play video.

Its all local traffic so it shouldn't use your 6GB data. You're basically turning your phone into an Access Point... but able to have the two devices Internet connectivity as well.

I haven't tested this setup but logically it sounds like it could work.
This is exactly what I want to do. I will test it out and see what happens.
sapsa wrote:
DeFlanko wrote:Sounds like you want to hotspot your phone so your PS3 and your laptop
scar69 wrote:I want to stream movies to my PS3 when I'm at work
If it's the way DeFlanko said that this setup will work, but your phone will get really hot in no time
So would doing this be safe? Its a brand new phone and I don't want to cook it.
sapsa

Post by sapsa »

Safe? For phone, yes, for battery that you can't replace so easy, no.
Its cheaper to buy used wifirouter, or even new one. ANd you dont need Internet at home to have working setup with ps3+router+laptop
DeFlanko

Post by DeFlanko »

unless you have rooted or phobe then loaded a custom kernel to overclock the cpu on the phone. then you shoukd be fine.

phones today normally havr a termal detector in them that if they get too hot they force a shutdown on them selfs.

your issue or what you w ant to do sounds like the battery would drain fast if anything... there for you would have to constantly charge your phone...

fwiw... I use my phone as a hot spot too when I'm at remote sites, the battery does drain fast -- a few hours... so I leave it plugged in to the pc the whole time....and its fine...

its not like your doing some heavy lifting with the phone... its just an AP at this point.

Sent from my SGH-T999 Using ForumTouch for Android
sapsa

Post by sapsa »

DeFlanko wrote: its not like your doing some heavy lifting with the phone... its just an AP at this point.
From what I know, and from what I readed at xda, thanks to overheat your phone (using it constant, overclocking etc) you can dramaticly cut battery life :-) same as charging it non-stop :-) but its just a phone, you can allways replace easy or not (nexus) the battery anyway :-)

It cheaper to buy little mobile router that you can use from 5V usb :-) or charger
scar69

Post by scar69 »

I have everything setup and it seems to be working fine. I haven't noticed the phone getting hot yet so I think I should be safe. Thanks for the help guys :D
henrywillian171

Re: Streaming from laptop to ps3 using nexus 5 as wifi hotspot

Post by henrywillian171 »

Better using ad-hoc wifi hotspot setup , ive been using this from years ,and works good for windows 7/8/10 as well