Will PS5 support UMS at launch?

General discussion about Universal Media Server (no support or requests)
SirsAndDames

Will PS5 support UMS at launch?

Post by SirsAndDames »

Hi, I tend to use UMS with the media player on PS4 as my primary form of streaming content from PC. So I was wondering if UMS will be supported on PS5 from day one or will it be supported a bit later. Plex has already confirmed that it will be supported from launch, so there will be DLNA support on PS5.
valib
Developer

Re: Will PS5 support UMS at launch?

Post by valib »

Why not? But we need somebody who will buy the PS5 and try to connect the UMS. We need the USER-AGENT value to properly recognize it. Unfortunatelly I am not the guy who will buy it. Maybe @Subjunk?
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Good question, thanks.
We support all devices via DLNA, whether they are future devices or not. By default if we do not recognize a device, we will transcode everything, which means it will hopefully work but not as well as it could.
Plex is a big company with lots of employees and money to buy whatever device they want. We are a free and open source project, and any money we receive in donations goes towards offsetting server hosting costs. We have managed to compete with the big guys like Plex because of our community helping us by testing and making renderer configs for devices, so I hope we will get some PS5 users helping us in that way too.

I contacted Sony once to ask if they would be interested in sending me a PS4 so I can improve support for that but they said no.

If you get a PS5 will you help us improve support for it?
SirsAndDames

Post by SirsAndDames »

Thanks for this.

I haven't been able to secure one yet, but I will let people know about this!
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

We have had a user message us on Facebook who owns a PS5 so I am hoping to work with them to make a renderer config
SirsAndDames

Post by SirsAndDames »

SubJunk wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:50 pm We have had a user message us on Facebook who owns a PS5 so I am hoping to work with them to make a renderer config
Turns out there isn't DLNA support out the box on PS5 :/

PS4 got DLNA support about 6 months after launch, I hope Sony don't make us wait that long this time!

I don't know much about apps or DLNA, but is it possible to make UMS into an app for PS5?
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Oh, darn. That changes things. I would be really interested in making a client app for PS5. Usually my strategy as a user is to see if a renderer has VLC available since UMS and VLC work well together. I wonder if they have a PS5 app planned, or if there are any other DLNA clients planned for it
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

As nearly everything on PS4 is compatible with PS5 maybe it will be possible to use the media player app from PS4 if it is available on the store as a separate download :?:
If so then UMS can just use the PS4 conf.

This is just a guess though as it will be a long time till I can afford the PS5 :(
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
SirsAndDames

Post by SirsAndDames »

SubJunk wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:42 am Oh, darn. That changes things. I would be really interested in making a client app for PS5. Usually my strategy as a user is to see if a renderer has VLC available since UMS and VLC work well together. I wonder if they have a PS5 app planned, or if there are any other DLNA clients planned for it
I really thought Sony would have been DLNA ready from launch this time around since they added a new "media" tab on PS5...

I doubt they would even allow an app to even make use of DLNA until they put out their own media app.

I definitely will try to tweet this thread to some Sony execs in the hope of them getting a PS5 media app out ASAP
mik_s wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:05 pm As nearly everything on PS4 is compatible with PS5 maybe it will be possible to use the media player app from PS4 if it is available on the store as a separate download :?:
If so then UMS can just use the PS4 conf.

This is just a guess though as it will be a long time till I can afford the PS5 :(
That would be great, but from what people are saying, there doesn't seem to be a workaround like that. They'll have to make a PS5 one, I guess.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Thanks for your involvement, I will be interested to see the developments and do anything I can