Why UMS?

General discussion about Universal Media Server (no support or requests)
uSlackr

Why UMS?

Post by uSlackr »

I was browsing the PMS site today and discovered the UMS fork. I don't see here regarding the plus/minus of UMS v PMS. Can anyone speak to why I might choose one over the other today?

Thanks
\\uSlackr
bevster

Re: Why UMS?

Post by bevster »

I am also curious as well if anyone can give any input,
thank you
SharkHunter
Developer

Post by SharkHunter »

The +/- on UMS vs. PMS is as always in the eye of the beholder. SubJunk started this since he wanted to imporve the stability. UMS is perhaps not more stable than PMS right now but that is the goal we're aiming for. We also has a long list of improvements that will be added (new features mostly, the new plugin intsall sytsem for example). I joined SubJunk here since I felt that PMS had lost momentum. Most stuff that was added didn't add any real value to the product (in my view) and for some time nothing happend at all.
SubJunk and me maintained the two "major" beta builds of PMS. SubJunk focused his on getting more video format support while I focused on easy installment and deployment. Hopefully we can combine this in to a better product...
We reject: kings, presidents and voting.
We believe in: rough consensus and running code.
bevster

Post by bevster »

right on, thanks for taking the time to reply.
I appreciate all of the teams hard work.
cheers
RavenFire

Post by RavenFire »

Yeah, subjunk and sharkhunter are why I followed.
I was always downloading their beta versions of PMS - and they tended to have the best releases...
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Good question and I am thinking about making a comparison page on the website soon :)
The main differences at the moment exist for Windows users. I was the only Windows developer for PMS and most of the users for both programs are on Windows. So with PMS they often break things on Windows and don't even notice. They even broke a feature on Macs a couple of months ago and still haven't fixed it, kinda weird.
So yes I would say we offer better stability already on Window and Macs
ChandlerL

Post by ChandlerL »

As an end-user I wanted to chime in on this. The big thing, the game-changer, for me that made me install and use UMS is the developer's integration of Motion Interpolation. For those of us that have HDTVs that are a few years old and don't offer this in hardware, it's fantastic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_interpolation

Shark and Sub have essentially extended the life of my HDTV by leveraging the computer hardware I currently have and, to me, that's worth a ton.

Cheers,

Chan
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Thanks for the feedback, ChandlerL :) I use that feature all the time as well, even though my TV does have the feature this one is higher quality than it :)