Does UMS 4.0 work with the PS4?

General discussion about Universal Media Server (no support or requests)
paulinacio1991

Re: Does UMS 4.0 work with the PS4?

Post by paulinacio1991 »

SharkHunter wrote:I'm still trying to get a "clean" html5 transcodeing going..
Will there be a chance of you implementing this in the unfinished version 4.1.0?? I built the 4.1.0 branch using UMSBuilderV2 and must say.. there is some impressive features added in this build :D but unsupported videos still don't play and I was just wondering if you were going to add the current HTML5 transcoder in the 4.1.0 branch for users interested? Keep up the amazing work ;)
SharkHunter
Developer

Post by SharkHunter »

Since I still don't get any HTML5 transcoding going (it never get AV sync) it is not included in 4.1. But if it ever works it will be added in some branch.
I've had it working for chrome (but only chorme).
We reject: kings, presidents and voting.
We believe in: rough consensus and running code.
Wolfgan

Post by Wolfgan »

SharkHunter wrote:Since I still don't get any HTML5 transcoding going (it never get AV sync) it is not included in 4.1. But if it ever works it will be added in some branch.
I've had it working for chrome (but only chorme).
It seems you're not alone in the quest. Couple of interesting articles with other developers' experience:
http://lostechies.com/bradcarleton/2013 ... s-and-aws/
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3639 ... ith-ffmpeg

I hope it help, Wolf
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

Nice links:)
One from the discussion:
https://github.com/derolf/transcoder
SharkHunter
Developer

Post by SharkHunter »

Most of the examples seems to use ogg. I think I tried that but maybe I should try again...
SharkHunter
Developer

Post by SharkHunter »

Nope no luck. One of my test videos show up black in chrome (but have audio) the other stutters hysterically in both.
The problem is that isn't consistent. Some videos works perfectly. While others stutter, no picture or something similar...
infidel
Developer

Post by infidel »

ExSport wrote:Nice links:)
One from the discussion:
https://github.com/derolf/transcoder
I played with this one and overall the only problem I saw with ogg was that ffmpeg couldn't keep up with real time if resolution was > 720p, otherwise audio sync etc was correct (for my test files anyway).

Then I hacked it a bit to take out videojs and go with straight html5 and results were equivalent. Hacked it some more to add mp4 transcoding and everything went crazy, with the video running superfast over normal rate audio (as Sharkhunter had reported previously).

Way back when (in a totally unrelated context) I once tried on the fly transcoding to mkv which of course failed for most renderers because ffmpeg updates the header at the front of the file as it adds each frame, so the initial header is just wrong. It's only a guess (and I really should check the code, right :)?) but maybe something similar happens with mp4 where a 'faststart' header is needed for immediate playback and probably this isn't servicable before transcoding is all done.
SharkHunter
Developer

Post by SharkHunter »

I have a question to the wise community. Should I merge the ogg code so you can test it? It will NOT work for all combos of videos/browsers. And worse there is no way to make it fallback to flash so if the video doesn't play I could add a "fallback flash" link. Comments? (before you ask I'll add it to the 4.1.0 branch which is our wild and crazy branch).
Wolfgan

Post by Wolfgan »

SharkHunter wrote:I have a question to the wise community. Should I merge the ogg code so you can test it? It will NOT work for all combos of videos/browsers. And worse there is no way to make it fallback to flash so if the video doesn't play I could add a "fallback flash" link. Comments? (before you ask I'll add it to the 4.1.0 branch which is our wild and crazy branch).
I think it will be a worthy experiment :-) Thanks!
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )
SharkHunter
Developer

Post by SharkHunter »

Ok I'll do a merge. Hopefully tonight. You have to build yourself (use UMSBuilder perhaps).
This is the real stuff no nice stuff like installers and such ease of use tools.