how to use media server locally?

General discussion about Universal Media Server (no support or requests)
michaelklachko

how to use media server locally?

Post by michaelklachko »

Hi, I'm new here, and I'm not very familiar with the whole "media server" concept. What I want to do it to watch my videos on my Mac laptop in high frame rate. I wanted to use SVP software, but it does not support Mac. I see that UMS supports Mac, and can interpolate frames in a video stream. My question is: can I use UMS somehow to insert interpolated frames into either online or local videos on my Mac? Any suggestions are appreciated!
asaduzzaman1cba

Re: how to use media server locally?

Post by asaduzzaman1cba »

I am also new here but i'm little familiar with the whole "media server" concept. So , I have no advice for you but you can go to google for better know. :)
michaelklachko

Post by michaelklachko »

Thanks! Google brought me here! :-)
Dolus

Post by Dolus »

The concept of a media server is that you install it on your Mac laptop and it then allows you to watch files stored on your Mac on another device assuming both are connected to your network.

I think you need a video player. You can try the free VLC for Mac http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html
michaelklachko

Post by michaelklachko »

Does anyone here understand my question?
Wolfgan

Post by Wolfgan »

I understand you want to watch media in your Mac, but you failed to mention where are those media files located (if they are stored on the same machine or a external storage you attach to your Mac, you need a client software as pointed in previous replies). UMS is a server intended to be installed in a separate machine serving all your connected clients around (being your Mac, a tablet, a phone, an smart HDTV, ...)
Wolf
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )
michaelklachko

Post by michaelklachko »

Media files located on my mac. Normally I watch them with VLC.
So, is it possible?
Wolfgan

Post by Wolfgan »

It doesn't make sense to install a server in that machine to play the files in the same machine with a player application. You're just complicating what VLC does already for you...
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )
michaelklachko

Post by michaelklachko »

I'm still not sure - do you understand my question? How can I insert those frames?
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Hi :) Unfortunately the answer is no, we only support frame interpolation on Windows, since we use SVP libraries. Sorry!