Mencoder vs. ffmpeg

General discussion about Universal Media Server (no support or requests)
mx5gr

Re: Mencoder vs. ffmpeg

Post by mx5gr »

When the same file with the same settings is played first with MEncoder and then with FFMpeg, the subtitle font size changes albeit UMS settings remain the same. Fontconfig is the only subtitle support method enabled.

After Googling the above issue, I landed on http://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/wiki/How% ... he%20video which in turn directed me to http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/forum/viewtop ... 8&start=20. If I am not mistaken and I have done something wrong (?) with UMS setup, ffmpeg should be invoked with the required parameters for fonts (they could be created on the fly as files if they cannot be passed-on as variables).

Anyone that experiences different font size in subtitles between Mencoder and ffmpeg playback?
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

The subtitle style settings are only used for MEncoder (which is why they are in the MEncoder section of the Transcoding Settings tab instead of the Common section), whereas FFmpeg is playing them using its own defaults. In the future we will add those settings to FFmpeg too.
S7eele

Post by S7eele »

Good discussion, thanks!
Peace!
mx5gr

Post by mx5gr »

Thank you SubJunk :)

Will be waiting for this functionality! Excellent work.
elpetak

Post by elpetak »

now that ffmpeg works with external subs and has styled subs, if I don't need internal subs, is there any reason not to make ffmpeg the default engine?
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

It works for internal subs too BTW. But yes, it seems less stable than MEncoder in general.
elpetak

Post by elpetak »

but in all tests I did with H.264 encoding and a PS3, seeking/jumping to a specific time fails with mencoder but works with ffmpeg.
At least when using H.264 it seems to me that ffmpeg does a better job.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Cool, thanks for the feedback :)
I'm not sure how to transition from MEncoder to FFmpeg if we do, it's possible that we may release a new beta branch later on for that purpose.
One of the big reasons I left PS3MS and started UMS was to ensure that the changes we make and release are very stable, so I want to be very careful when making a big change like that.
Vallimar

Post by Vallimar »

It's possible this is limited to me, but although the subs handling in ffmpeg has made great strides
I still occasionally run into issues with font sizing being off in some of my anime mkv's. I really haven't
spent any time trying to track down the root of the problem but I'm guessing the problem is in ffmpeg
and not ums. Or more precisely, it is likely a problem with the embedded subs which mplayer just
handles but ffmpeg is perhaps being (overly?) strict.

What would be nice for me is to set a default renderer based on media. For instance, when handling
subbed files, default to mencoder, otherwise use ffmpeg.

I've also noticed the problems with seeking mentioned when using h264, and since I watch a lot of anime
I unfortunately need to keep it switched off as I have to stick with mencoder for predictable subs behaviour.

Would it make any sense to make using h264 a runtime option instead of needing to alter the config files?
Configure it like another renderer/transcode option you can enable/disable/select at will?