What's the 'best' media renderer for UMS?

Discuss media renderers like Xbox 360, TVs, smartphones, etc.
GamerDad7

What's the 'best' media renderer for UMS?

Post by GamerDad7 »

I've mostly just used a PS3 Slim the whole time I've used UMS. It used to work great 99% of the time, but over the last couple years I seem to have more and more issues with it. Like certain files just not playing, even though they play fine on the computer. Some video files are very difficult to rewind/fast forward. For some of them, there's like a delay for it to start. Others, you just can't rewind/fast forward at all. Some files will play, but then start stuttering until I hit pause, then when I hit play again they're fine until they start stuttering again a few seconds later.

I have a pretty good router, so I've always assumed the issue is the PS3 not being a great renderer. Does anybody have any suggestions for a better device to stream videos to?
mik_s

Re: What's the 'best' media renderer for UMS?

Post by mik_s »

I don't know what is the best but I still use my ps3 but not the built in player. I use Movian which can play just about anything without transcoding. The main downside is that that for some formats (like h265) the ps3's CPU is not fast enough to decode in real-time, so they will have to be transcoded first. Which is the second downside as it doesn't handle a transcoded stream very well, being unable to FF/RWD and if you try it restarts from the beginning. However it is a vast improvement over the default player with support for subs and multiple audio tracks.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
GamerDad7

Post by GamerDad7 »

mik_s wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:51 pm I don't know what is the best but I still use my ps3 but not the built in player. I use Movian which can play just about anything without transcoding. The main downside is that that for some formats (like h265) the ps3's CPU is not fast enough to decode in real-time, so they will have to be transcoded first. Which is the second downside as it doesn't handle a transcoded stream very well, being unable to FF/RWD and if you try it restarts from the beginning. However it is a vast improvement over the default player with support for subs and multiple audio tracks.
Thanks for the response. I assume I need to be on CFW to use Movian?
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

yes you do need CFW to install it, but its a good way to extend the life of the PS3 if you have another system.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Uni

Post by Uni »

PS3 works best with mencoder transcoding files, ffmpeg for me not working at all...
you can also change transcoding quality (mpeg2) from automatic to good, medium ect.

mencoder settings: av sync alternativ method = check (try uncheck when movie not in sync)
force framerate parsed ffmpeg = uncheck