Why can't m2ts (h264/dts) content be streamed rather than transcoded to PS3?

Discuss media renderers like Xbox 360, TVs, smartphones, etc.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: Why can't m2ts (h264/dts) content be streamed rather than transcoded to PS3?

Post by SubJunk »

ajkessel wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:19 am
SubJunk wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:06 pm Can you test the vc1 video by playing the [No Transcoding] option? If so we can update the ps3 config
The [No Transcoding] option doesn't show up on the PS3--it appears as "Unsupported Data" from the PS3 menu, rather than any filename/description. In other words, there is no "[No Transcoding]" option on the PS3, since the item that would correspond to no transcoding is just "unsupported data." If I select it, it says "The data type is not supported". Same behavior with the "api3" github build as well as the latest stable release.
Would you please post logs of when you browse that folder on PS3? Then I can see what we are sending the PS3 about that file. It is possible the PS3 supports it but we are sending it bad metadata
SubJunk wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:06 pm Can you let us know which subtitles format worked with VLC so we can update that config too?
hdmv_pgs_subtitle works -- is that the sort of format description you are looking for? dvd_subtitle is also rendered fine.
AFAIK PS3 doesn't support that but I have updated VLC for our next release
SubJunk wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:06 pm I don't think PS3 supports receiving subtitles as separate streams unless they changed that in an update
I'd be happy to test if possible, but it seems like I would need to select "no transcoding" for this, which, as noted above, is not currently possible.
Yeah usually that just means the PS3 does not support it, but it can be a bug on our end meaning we sent the PS3 incorrect data
ajkessel

Re: Why can't m2ts (h264/dts) content be streamed rather than transcoded to PS3?

Post by ajkessel »

SubJunk wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:01 pm
SubJunk wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:06 pm Can you test the vc1 video by playing the [No Transcoding] option? If so we can update the ps3 config
The [No Transcoding] option doesn't show up on the PS3--it appears as "Unsupported Data" from the PS3 menu, rather than any filename/description. In other words, there is no "[No Transcoding]" option on the PS3, since the item that would correspond to no transcoding is just "unsupported data." If I select it, it says "The data type is not supported". Same behavior with the "api3" github build as well as the latest stable release.
Would you please post logs of when you browse that folder on PS3? Then I can see what we are sending the PS3 about that file. It is possible the PS3 supports it but we are sending it bad metadata
See attached.
debug.log
(606.7 KiB) Downloaded 355 times
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

I can see in the logs that the file is "test.mkv", and since PS3 does not support .mkv files, it is telling you it is unsupported. We support remuxing the streams instead of transcoding, which should happen automatically when you play the video in the normal menu (not the TRANSCODING folder)
ajkessel

Post by ajkessel »

SubJunk wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:54 am I can see in the logs that the file is "test.mkv", and since PS3 does not support .mkv files, it is telling you it is unsupported. We support remuxing the streams instead of transcoding, which should happen automatically when you play the video in the normal menu (not the TRANSCODING folder)
Sorry, I sort of lost track of this thread -- but I thought the whole point here was that UMS wasn't remuxing instead of transcoding, so you had asked me to select the [No transcoding] option, which isn't available.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Yes sorry for the late reply before. I lose track of threads too. When I said to test that, I had forgotten that the PS3 doesn't let you attempt to play the "No transcoding" videos. The way most renderers do it is they give you an error after you start playing it, but the PS3 does it when it gets listed.
Anyway we already know that MKV is not supported on PS3 so that is expected for that file. What we ideally do with that file is let it pass through FFmpeg untouched, but with a different container (remuxed) so I think that is being done here.