[Solved] Streaming to LG OLED CX (2020): no seeking when transcoding?

Discuss media renderers like Xbox 360, TVs, smartphones, etc.
mik_s

Re: Streaming to LG OLED CX (2020): no seeking when transcoding?

Post by mik_s »

Look at the section in red above or in my sig on how to make trace logs to post on here.

If you want to try looking at them yourself the logs is at C:/ProgramData/UMS/debug.log

When trying to setup supported formats first try to play the file from the #--TRANSCODE--# folder and chose "no transcoding"
If it plays without any problems then it is supported by your device.

Then try playing the file outside the transcode folder and see if plays the same. If it doesn't then UMS will be transcoding it.
A good way to see if UMS will transcode a file is to have "Add engine names after filenames" option enabled in the "Navigation settings" tab. UMS will add "[FFmpeg]" for example to the filename if it will be transcoded.

Search the log for "Final verdict:" and have a look at the section above. This will show the decision making process UMS is using whether to stream or transcode using the information from the conf. There should be enough info there for you to add anything missing from your conf to tell UMS to not transcode similar files.

In theory If the file is being transcoded it should still play without issues (maybe minus seeking) so any choppyness or stuttering may be due to network issues. as transcoding needs be done on the fly there is no time to do any compression on the stream so could max out your network bandwidth, especially if over wireless.

One possibility may be your network settings, have a look at https://www.universalmediaserver.com/fo ... 417#p42797
Its not something I have come across before so let me know if that helps.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
myles

Post by myles »

I removed all references to DTS in the modified .conf.
The audio now automatically transcodes in videos with DTS.

Will the trace logs still help (without the audio problem)?
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

@myles yes this will help @Subjunk update the conf for future versions of UMS.
Do the transcoded files play back correctly? are you able to seek?
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
myles

Post by myles »

Seeking does not work properly. Some files work and others do not. I know for sure it was an .mkv file where seeking did not work.
I will try to create trace logs for a video where the seeking does not work.
myles

Post by myles »

Trace logs for where I cannot seek and DTS works.
I hope I followed the Trace Log creation process correctly.
I don't mind helping UMS out to create better support for the LG OLED CX. I may just take long to respond.
Attachments
ums_dbg_2020-12-19-15-38.zip
(936.13 KiB) Downloaded 404 times
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

Those lines are wrong

Code: Select all

Supported = f:ts|trp|tp|mts   v:h264|h265|mpeg2                 a:mp3|ac3|eac3|aac-lc|he-aac|adpcm      m:video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts
Supported = f:mpegps          v:h264|h265|mpeg2                 a:mp3|ac3|eac3|aac-lc|he-aac|adpcm      m:video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts

f:ts|trp|tp|mts
is not supported in the UMS. There should be only

mpegts
and the mime

video/mpeg
like in the original conf because this TV should support it. See the line 1398 in your log.

http-get:*:video/mpeg:DLNA.ORG_PN=AVC_TS_NA_ISO;DLNA.ORG_FLAGS=ED100000000000000000000000000000

For

f:mpegps
the MIME is

video/mpeg
See the respond from your TV in the log. Please don't change the mpegps and mpegts lines whose should be supported by all renderers as default.

For seeking you can try to set

SeekByTime = true
to

SeekByTime = exclusive
but I am affraid that it will not help. If the LG will not implement the time seeking like Panasonic, Samsung etc. the seeking will not work for transcoded files. When the TV uses only seek-by-bytes in that case it doesn't know the exact size of the transcoded video which is for us unpredictable and we send only fake size.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

@Valib sorry that is probably my fault trying to add everything I saw from the LG WebOS manual, I may have guessed some things as not an expert with all the formats :oops:
I have made those corrections.

Hopefully I'll be staying at my parents over Xmas, (virus restrictions permitting) and I'll see if I can do some testing myself on their LG TV.

Is there any specific tests you would like me to do?
Attachments
LG-WebOS-modified.conf
(3.76 KiB) Downloaded 530 times
myles

Post by myles »

With SeekByTime = exclusive there is some strange behaviour.
The TV now allows seeking BUT after forwarding the time bar continues with no sound or picture (in a video that previously did not allow seeking).
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

I managed to do a bit of testing and found transcoding to be hit and miss. If just watching fron the begining straight though it works ok, but seeking or even restarting a stream causes problems like just stopping or hanging with the busy icon spinning.

I have a theory that it may be caused by the way the TV creates thumbnails. It appears to be scanning ahead to animate them instead of using the static one sent by UMS which causes a transcode even when nothing is being played. Then the TV expects data to be there already so ends up either waiting a long time or giving up.

A similar thing may be happening when trying to seek, when moving the pointer over the scroll bar on a supported file the tv shows a thumbnail preview at that time, like youtube does. It may be trying to do the same on a transcoded stream.

Not sure if there is a way of turning off this behavior, disableing thumbnails in UMS has no effect as the TV is doing its own thing.

I got some logs but need to figure out what I was doing for each one before I post them so they make sense.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

before I left to go home I did a final test to confirm my suspicion.

The way that the TV was requesting data is causing UMS to transcode so the TV can generate an animated thumbnail of whatever the cursor is pointed at. here I never selected anything to play, just opened a directory, went to the transcode folder and just pointed at a few of the options
ums_dbg_2020-12-27-16-42.zip
(160.24 KiB) Downloaded 412 times
Maybe there is a way to detect these requests and refuse them?

these logs are just me messing round with various settings, not really focused on anything but there may be something helpful so I'll post them anyway.
This was on a fresh install too.
Attachments
ums_dbg_2020-12-27-00-16.zip
(586.18 KiB) Downloaded 408 times
ums_dbg_2020-12-27-00-58.zip
(190.92 KiB) Downloaded 386 times
ums_dbg_2020-12-27-01-17.zip
(303.33 KiB) Downloaded 381 times