[Solved] Transcoding for SONY Bravia VH1/KD-65XH92xx

Discuss media renderers like Xbox 360, TVs, smartphones, etc.
SimpleUser

[Solved] Transcoding for SONY Bravia VH1/KD-65XH92xx

Post by SimpleUser »

Hello all,

I like to configure UMS to stream for as Sony Bravia (named itself VH1 in the menu but sold as KD-65XH92xx).
The initial installation went well. UMS proposed BRAVIA KDL-xxNX800. Unfortunately, the streaming and transcoding did not work with the initial set-up.
After a while I figured out that the streaming can be quite easy handled while set to mp4 (either in transcoding menu or in the config file as it is now). The TV seems to be less sensitive with different set-ups/codecs as long as it shown as MP4. In fact h264 + AC3 worked well among others.
However, if I set transcode to TranscodeVideo = MPEGTS-H264-AC3 it does not deliver the expected result. The TV starts waiting and the server is obviously doing something (Status view) but not a proper transcoding as no Mb/s are displayed but a peak value.
My TV is renamed Kellerkind and so is the associated config file (see attachment).

Any idea how to transcode files other the MP4 for that TV?

Thank you for your help.
Attachments
Kellerkind.conf
(1.71 KiB) Downloaded 423 times
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: Transcoding for SONY Bravia VH1/KD-65XH92xx

Post by SubJunk »

Hi SimpleUser,
Usually the best supported format is TranscodeVideo = MPEGPS-MPEG2-AC3 since that is what the DLNA standard says to use, and it is what DVDs use. Have you tried that?
SimpleUser

Post by SimpleUser »

Hello SubJunk,

that was the standard setting in profile BRAVIA KDL-xxNX800. So, I started with that but without success.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

It looks like that config is sending a mp4 MIME type for MPEG-TS so that might be confusing the TV. Please try the attached profile
Kellerkind.conf
(1.89 KiB) Downloaded 474 times
SimpleUser

Post by SimpleUser »

Thanks a lot. I tried it.

The following happens:
- As before mp4-files worked as usual (unchanged)
- m4v container did not work (no trancoding identified even not a peak displayed in UMS - no peak is new)
- in transcode folder none of the transcoded formats worked but the original m4v not transcoded (that is new)

As you already mentioned it seems more that the transfer does not initiate a proper communication neither than having a wrong format.

Any more ideas? Could I support with more or other details?
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

On the General Settings tab there is a setting "Default renderer when automatic detection fails". Can you tick to the right "Force default renderer", and then try selecting different Sony profiles to try? We have a lot of Sony TV profiles so it seems to me that one of them is likely to enable transcoding to work for your TV. Then if one works, we can bring that fix into your file
SimpleUser

Post by SimpleUser »

That was not easy ...
I try to explain what I did and how I prepared the test:
- First I prepared a folder full of video-sequences coded by Handbrake in different formats (MP4 container with MP4, H264, H265, MKV container with MP2, MP4, H264, H265, Theora, VP8 and WEBM container with VP8 /VP9)
- UMS has been updated to version 10
- I chose a renderer in UMS, shot in down (just UMS not the PC) and restart it. In parallel the TV has been switched off (just electronic, no a full disconnect)

The result is/was as followed:
- Renderer Kellerkind display MP4-container with MP4, H264 and H265. A try to transcode other formats was not visible.
- Renderer Sony Bravia XD/XE/XF displayed MP4 in all version, MKV in MP4, H264, H265 and WebM VP8 and VP9 without transcoding. It tried to transcode other formats but without success.
- Renderer Sony Bravia HX75 displayed MP4 with MP4 contant. For all other versions it tried to transcode without success.
- all other renderer named Sony ... failed in all cases it did not initiate a try to transcode.

"Try to transcode" means that there is visible activity on status screen of UMS. Mb/s generate a peak but that present value goes down to 0 after an initial peak. No visible video on the TV.

Quite disturbing is the fact that after completing the text with the same test sequence even Kellerkind and Bravia XD/XE/XF failed completely.

Therefore, I assume that the TV or the server has not been completely reset even by switching them off. That might stipulate wrong outcomes during the test.

Does that help?
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Thanks for all of your effort, I guess that shows that we might not have a configuration that can transcode to your TV right now. I think we can probably make one though.
Can you please provide TRACE logs? Then I can see whether your TV tells UMS which transcoding formats it supports
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Also please try adding the following to your renderer config:

DLNAOrgPN = false
SimpleUser

Post by SimpleUser »

OK. Thanks a lot. I do so and come back in the next days.