Chromecast, an Android Device, and UMS.

Discuss media renderers like Xbox 360, TVs, smartphones, etc.
User avatar
DeFlanko
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:43 am
Location: San Pedro, CA
Contact:

Chromecast, an Android Device, and UMS.

Post by DeFlanko » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:11 pm

UPDATE: (4/18/2014)

Calling all testers for ChromeCast!

With the help of a few Forum members identifying key elements, I welcome you to test this version of UMS with the Chromecast Configuration files.

What you will need:
I chose the Avia App because its the only one I have found to have the ability to do DNLA/UPnP and Cast without installing server side software.

If you have another app that can do this please mention it here, and ill see what i can do to make it work.

Otherwise I'm welcome for feedback!

Thanks,
DeFlanko

sukh77
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:52 am

Re: Chromecast, an Android Device, and UMS.

Post by sukh77 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:14 am

Cool. Does skifta not work yet?

Nevermind Skifta didn't work, tested it.

User avatar
DeFlanko
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:43 am
Location: San Pedro, CA
Contact:

Re: Chromecast, an Android Device, and UMS.

Post by DeFlanko » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:25 am

Skifta works... if your player is avia..but its redundant as you would still need to unlock the in app purchases for the Chromecast -- which unlocks the DNLA UPnP features too.. to Avia can do the same as skifta just with Chromecast. :|

furby82
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:23 am

Re: Chromecast, an Android Device, and UMS.

Post by furby82 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:37 am

I have tried this. It works on some files (5%) but it does not play most formats. when chromecast attempts to play it shows up on UMS as Unknown Renderer. would there be a way to create a chromecast.conf file to get it working with other formats?

User avatar
DeFlanko
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:43 am
Location: San Pedro, CA
Contact:

Re: Chromecast, an Android Device, and UMS.

Post by DeFlanko » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:49 pm

I'm working on one... Itll mostly be custommencoderoptions... or customffmpegoptions

then hope to work with subjunk to simplify it.

Sent from my SGH-T999 Using ForumTouch for Android

Cabal
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:54 am

Re: Chromecast, an Android Device, and UMS.

Post by Cabal » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:49 pm

Thanks for your work on this. I'm currently trying to do: UMS -> Nexus 4 with Avia -> Chromecast, and found practically none of my videos that will play, I always get the "Chromecast doesn't support..." message, even with very simple MP4s. Photos work, though, so my connection is okay.

Looking forward to it in the future!

User avatar
DeFlanko
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:43 am
Location: San Pedro, CA
Contact:

Re: Chromecast, an Android Device, and UMS.

Post by DeFlanko » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:03 am

No worries... its kinda weird.

So here's what i have so far. (original Post i'll keep updated)

ssego
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:54 am

Re: Chromecast, an Android Device, and UMS.

Post by ssego » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:05 am

I've been trying to make this work lately too, and so far I can stream video but no audio unless the file is already encoded with AAC audio. I haven't figured out how to force a transcode to aac audio on the fly, regardless of settings in the .conf file. Here is what I'm using for my avia.conf

Code: Select all

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Profile for Avia Media Player for Android -- Chromecast app.
# See PS3.conf for a description of all possible configuration options.
# Attempt to use vcodec=libx264:acodec=libaacplus
# Version 1
#
# User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (CrKey armv7l 1.3.14651) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/31.0.1650.0 Safari/537.36, Referer: http://receiver.aviatheapp.com/
# User-Agent: Android/4.2.1 UPnP/1.0 Cling/2.0
# User-Agent: Apache-HttpClient/UNAVAILABLE (java 1.4)

RendererName=Avia / Chromecast
RendererIcon=avia.png
UserAgentSearch= (CrKey armv7l 1.3.14975)
Video=true
Audio=true
Image=true
SeekByTime = exclusive
MaxVideoBitrateMbps = 10
CustomMencoderOptions = -channels 6 -lavdopts debug=0:threads=4 \
-lavcopts autoaspect=1:vcodec=x264:acodec=libfaac:abitrate=192 \
-vf softskip,expand=::::1:16\/9:4,scale=1280:720 \
-lacdopts fast \
-af lavcresample=48000 \
-srate=48000
-o
Any suggestions? I'm assuming I have an error in the command line somewhere.

User avatar
DeFlanko
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:43 am
Location: San Pedro, CA
Contact:

Re: Chromecast, an Android Device, and UMS.

Post by DeFlanko » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:01 pm

ssego - yeah ive submitted an issue log to github -- i think there is something faulty with the acodec:libfaac

@subjunk says its loaded ever sence SB51 but it fails when trying to use.

I think he's been meanign to look at other codecs to add to his custom MEncoder package like VP8... hopfully he checks it out soon...

I think this issue is alot tied to another issue i now have with Android 4.3 -- looks like acodec:mp2 stopped working -- and again it looks like the fix is to use libfaac.

;)

ssego
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:54 am

Re: Chromecast, an Android Device, and UMS.

Post by ssego » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:19 am

I guess for now I'll make copies of the kids' movies with aac audio so they'll get off my back :P thanks for the knowledge.

Post Reply