HEVC for Samsung D6420

Discuss media renderers like Xbox 360, TVs, smartphones, etc.
Igorsch

HEVC for Samsung D6420

Post by Igorsch »

Hi guys,
Is that possible to make my Samsung D6420 to run on H.265 codec. It plays well while using Seviio but I like UMS...Attaching all config files hope it'll help.
Attachments
ums_dbg_2021-02-24-00-20.zip
(207.16 KiB) Downloaded 377 times
mik_s

Re: HEVC for Samsung D6420

Post by mik_s »

Yes you just need to edit the conf file to add that format as supported.

First make sure that the file will play on your TV by going to the #--TRANSCODE--# folder and selecting "NO TRANSCODING"

If it plays fine without any issue then you will have to find the renderer conf file UMS is using and add h265 as supported.

Your log doesn't show any devices attached and no renderer conf file was included in the zip, so I don't know exactly what to put in the supported section but if there is a line like

Code: Select all

Supported = f:mkv             v:h264|mp4|mpeg2|vp8|vp9     a:mp3|ac3|eac3|aac-lc|he-aac|adpcm      m:video/x-matroska 
add in h265 like

Code: Select all

Supported = f:mkv             v:h264|h265|mp4|mpeg2|vp8|vp9     a:mp3|ac3|eac3|aac-lc|he-aac|adpcm      m:video/x-matroska
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Igorsch

Post by Igorsch »

Sorry I'm trying my best...I added the code as you suggested but still getting the same error: "file format is not supported" I have created another log exactly as per instruction. Have a look pls.
Attachments
ums_dbg_2021-02-25-00-12.zip
(49.43 KiB) Downloaded 396 times
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

Ok I can see what conf is being used. Since it is a fairly old TV it is not capable of playing HEVC(h265) files natively, so they have to be transcoded first.

also the conf file for that TV has not been updated to say that this format is not supported.

I have tried to write an updated one for you to try. Copy it to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Universal Media Server\renderers" and this one should take over from the original one without overwriting it.

I have no way of testing it to see if it is correct though so you will have to do that yourself and let me know how it works.
Attachments
Samsung-CD updated.conf
(22.08 KiB) Downloaded 405 times
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Igorsch

Post by Igorsch »

Unfortunately it doesn't work. I looked into the code you created and couldn't find h265 mentioned anywhere. Can you verify please. Thank you for your time.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

Yes that is correct. Since your TV doesn't support h265, it is not listed as a supported format so UMS knows to transcode it.

If the transcoded file will not play then the transcoding settings probably aren't correct. I'm not an expert on that so will take a bit of trial and error to get it right.

Could you do more logs while trying to play a h265 file so I can see if UMS is detecting that it should transcode.
Igorsch

Post by Igorsch »

Update: After a clean install and using your provided .conf file, the h265 has started to work pretty well om my TV (timing is wrong, 20 min video shows as a 1190 min so the Fast Forwarding is not working, not a big deal). But this time h264 codec has stopped working (?)
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

One of the downsides of transcoding will be that fast forwarding will not work on some TVs because of the way they handle playing of files. sometimes they will need access to the whole file to fast-forward, but as transcoding happens on the fly the whole file does not exist yet. This can also show the wrong length as the TV has to try and estimate it.
My F series Samsung also disables the scan controls when streaming a supported file over the network while it works fine playing from a USB.

It may be possible to improve this with a few tweaks that should give the right length and allow you to jump to a time by using the search time bar option (magnifying glass symbol)

I would expect the same thing to happen with Seviio unless they do something different. I haven't tried it but my guess is they pre-transcode all their media for each device :?:

Going by the information I could find there are some audio formats that are not supported so I didn't include them in the conf. Those files should be transcoding though.
Could you do logs playing the files that no longer play? Also try playing then using the "no transcoding" option in the #--TRANSCODE--# folder

I did find a couple of minor errors in my conf so try this one.
Attachments
Samsung-CD updated.conf
(22.1 KiB) Downloaded 414 times
Igorsch

Post by Igorsch »

Update: .mp4 and .avi - no issues. h264 - "file format is not supported". I zipped log while running h264. Funny thing while running h265 - it crashes and reboots my TV at the moment I click on the file. I can run h264 file from inside the transcoding folder using NO transcoding option. But if I try to do the same with h265 - it still crashes my TV...
Attachments
ums_dbg_2021-03-01-20-04.zip
(52.34 KiB) Downloaded 396 times
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

I can't see anything being played so can't tell why that file is not working. Only thing I can tell is that UMS is using the updated conf file.

Try playing that h264 file normally and then with the no transcode option before packing the logs. This will show why UMS is transcoding and also show that your TV can play that without needing to be transcoded.

Is the h265 file playing back different now? did this only happen with my last conf file?
I added "SeekByTime = exclusive" to the conf hoping it will show the correct time but maybe it didn't work. you could try deleting that line and see if there is a difference.