possibility mkv - only some audio types transcoding

Discuss media renderers like Xbox 360, TVs, smartphones, etc.
newbietux

possibility mkv - only some audio types transcoding

Post by newbietux »

Is it with cofiguration options in the renderer file possible, that at (e. g. mkv) container files only some audio streams (some types e. g. DTS or so) where transcoded and the video stream (or some type of video streams) not? This may need a remuxing of the original video with the transcoded audio stream before it is streaming to the TV.
If it possible: How is it to configure?

Many thanks for your work on this great project UMS
... and for your responses of my worry request ;)
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: possibility mkv - only some audio types transcoding

Post by SubJunk »

Yes, that's possible in many cases. I will need the specific example (file mediainfo and renderer config) to help more
newbietux

Post by newbietux »

@SubJunk
Many thanks for your interesting and answer.
I post here the mediainfo from the mkv file and the actual renderer file (Panasonic HZX1509 V.1.3).

Because I have first started a renderer specific thread for Panasonic HZX1509 and then this thread, I thinked that is a general question, you must say in wich thread is the best place for our search for solving the problem.
Attachments
Mediainfo_MKV-Datei_1.txt
mediainfo-file for problematic mkv file
(7.38 KiB) Downloaded 294 times
Panasonic-HZX1509.conf
renderer-file V.1.3
(5.13 KiB) Downloaded 314 times
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Ah yes I see. I think the video will be transcoded currently because we only support remuxing the video stream if it matches the TranscodeVideo setting, so in that case we do it for videos that are H.264.
We want to make improvements to that soon
newbietux

Post by newbietux »

Thanks for your reply.

If set the option TranscodeVideo = MPEGTS-H265-AC3, the Video was playing without transcoding - but the TV shows the message "Audio type not supported" (or so)!

My solution is to modified the MKV-Files: transcode the DTS-Streams to AC3 and remux it with this audio stream with "default" flag. For this I found a pretty shell script mkvdts2ac3.sh on https://github.com/JakeWharton/mkvdts2ac3
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

That seems like a good workaround for now. Hopefully soon we will have the ability to do more remuxing.
It is just a bit difficult because we need to tell the renderer what the media will be before it is played, in the browse request, but we want the browse request to be as fast as possible. It can be done, it just needs some focus to solve it.
Also I just noticed that tsMuxeR supports H.265 too so that might be another way forward, but would likely need some development too