Vizio Smart TVs

Discuss media renderers like Xbox 360, TVs, smartphones, etc.
brienj

Re: Vizio Smart TVs

Post by brienj »

I don't use Universal Media Server, and I'm sure it is great software and I may try it out sometime, but I wanted to post and let you know how to fix the streaming problems with properly encoded mp4 files if they are over a certain length. I researched fixing this problem, because I had MPEG-4 AVC 3D movies that I wanted to play on the Vizio by streaming them, instead of having to plug in a USB drive. I discovered that the TV WILL play the mp4 files if you put them on a USB drive with AC3 Audio, DTS will not work. Short movies of full quality 3D MP4 files directly ripped from Blu-Rays into MKVs with MakeMKV and then video directly copied to MP4 files and audio converted to AC3 if needed with XMediaRecode, somewhere around 20 minutes or less, would stream fine and automatically invoke the 3D mode on the TV. The full movie would play just fine from a USB drive as well. So after some research and experimentation, I discovered how to get the movies to stream.

All you have to do is convert the movie to a TS container, without re-encoding the video, and only re-encoding the audio if it is DTS, to AC3. Open the movie in XMediaRecode, or use FFMPEG or some other tool that can convert the container to TS. Then you have to fool the Vizio into playing the stream by renaming the movie with the .mpg extension. The movie will now stream, as long as it is NOT transcoded. I was even streaming the full length movies with the Twonky Media Server that came with my WD My Cloud, and even Serviio, all without any transcoding. As long as you put the .mpg file extension, the Vizio will stream TS files. The only caveat, is that you can not fast forward or rewind, but if it is a 3D movie, the Vizio TV will automatically switch to 3D mode for you. This works on my M501d-AR2, and I have a feeling it would work on most other Vizio TVs as well.

So to get MP4 files that are MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 encoded and over 20 minutes long to work in your Media Server, follow these steps:
1. If Audio is DTS, convert to AC3.
2. Re-encode to a TS container, do NOT change the encoding of the video, COPY the video stream.
3. Rename the movie with the .mpg extension.
4. Serve the file with NO transcoding.

I hope this helps you all out.
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

It is exactly what new version does for better support of PS4 and other renderers :mrgreen:
specialletterss

Post by specialletterss »

According to my experience, iDealshare VideoGo is the best one to convert TVS to other video formats like convert TVS to AVI, MP4, WMV, MOV, MPG.

This article describe a detailed guide on how to get it and use it at http://www.idealshare.net/video-convert ... v-mpg.html
Ranger187

Post by Ranger187 »

Any update on this?
nambit

Post by nambit »

I'm curious, why the hate for Vizio folks? Seems they've been begging for support and no one is responding. One guy even provided some logs on the "help us improve" thread.
Strange...

I guess they are feeling my pain as panasonic ZT60 is not supported either (doesn't work). Ahh well, too many TV's on the market to support I suppose.
Wolfgan

Post by Wolfgan »

nambit wrote:I'm curious, why the hate for Vizio folks? Seems they've been begging for support and no one is responding. One guy even provided some logs on the "help us improve" thread.
Strange...

I guess they are feeling my pain as panasonic ZT60 is not supported either (doesn't work). Ahh well, too many TV's on the market to support I suppose.
It may not be hate, simply that non of the devs has any Vizio set so no way to try the profiles; and/or the users didn't try to create the profile themselves using the FAQ http://www.universalmediaserver.com/faq ... erSupport1
Remember, this is a community project...
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )
Ranger187

Post by Ranger187 »

Wolfgan wrote:
nambit wrote:I'm curious, why the hate for Vizio folks? Seems they've been begging for support and no one is responding. One guy even provided some logs on the "help us improve" thread.
Strange...

It may not be hate, simply that non of the devs has any Vizio set so no way to try the profiles; and/or the users didn't try to create the profile themselves using the FAQ http://www.universalmediaserver.com/faq ... erSupport1
Remember, this is a community project...
False............ I have Vizio tv's and have provided MEGS of trace info.

I also am the reason why we can stream to the Sony BDP bluray players. ;)

BUT, TO BE TRULY FAIR, Vizio's "video handling is archaic and sh*tty. That weak txt interface makes me cringe. I went to all Samsung TV's in my house with the exception of the 1 Vizio in my house.
nsomniac

Post by nsomniac »

So I have found that my Vizio M3D550SL 55in 3D TV will work with every file I have tried so far. Divx, Xvid, H.264, H.265, MPEG-1-4, AVI, MKV, everything so far, using this setup.

UserAgentSearch = IPI/1.0 UPnP/1.0 DLNADOC/1.50|GUPnP/0.12.8 UPnP/1.0 DLNADOC/1.50
UpnpDetailsSearch = Vizio
LoadingPriority = 1

SeekByTime = true
TranscodeVideo = MP4-H264-AC3
DLNALocalizationRequired = true
WrapDTSIntoPCM = true
TranscodeFastStart = true
KeepAspectRatio = true
HalveBitrate = true
MediaInfo = true

# Supported video formats:
Supported = f:mpegps|mpegts v:mpeg1|mpeg2|mp4|h264 a:ac3|lpcm|aac-lc|mpa m:video/mp4

# Supported audio formats:
Supported = f:atrac n:2 m:audio/x-oma
Supported = f:mp3 n:2 m:audio/mpeg
Supported = f:wav n:2 s:48000 m:audio/L16
Supported = f:wav n:6 a:dts|lpcm s:48000 m:audio/L16

I Hope this helps all of you people. I have screwed with this for months, and recently my cable box blew and took out all but one hdmi on my tv, so i no longer have the ability to switch to my pc display easily. So what did I do, I broke out the UMS again and got it working. YAY

Edit 10-14-2017
Hey, Just an Update. This even works with 4k streaming :) Am Watching Guardians of the Galaxy 2 in 4k.. well sort of considering my tv is only 1080p.. but it still looks better than a 'normal' 1080p stream. also while most people from what i have read dont like the smooth motion 120fps filter, I love it for everything short of playing games, which this tv is not particularly suited for, paired with 4k video it is TRULY amazing.
UMS Version 6.7.4
windows 10 x64 pro
i7-2600(non-k) @ 4.25GHZ
ASUS Maximus V Formula
16 GB 1333 G.Skill Assassin mem
Samsung 950 evo 500gb ssd main
3x Hitachi 3TB hdd
Hitachi 2tb
GTX 970

Edit 10-27-2017
I have also tested this on a friends television, a Sharp (Which Shows up as Samsung E series) and a handful of other devices, this seems to load way faster across the board. it seemed like when looking thorough the running processes the setting of TranscodeVideo = MPEGTS-H264-AC3 and m:video/mpegts was getting transcoded 2x before the program attempted to pipe it to the tv, after changing the two settings to MP4-H264-AC3 and m:video/mp4 respectively I got an extreme improvement in loading speed not only in the menus but also the videos I have FFMpeg as the Default transcoder, i have tried others, this is compatible with EVERYTHING i have thrown at it on everything i have tested. Maybe eventually I will also go through and clean up everything that isn't needed from the config though at the moment it works great. the only problems i have found is that repeated start/stop will crash and power off the tv. also sometimes the menus fail to advance/will get stuck, and the tv must be turned off and back on to clear the internal memory, this only happens when browsing folders that are newly added and not previously opened from the television. I believe both of these problems are due to the poor choice of an extremely low powered atom Cpu to run the majority of the 'smart' (barely) AND 3D function of the TV. Happy days people..
Smoker1

Post by Smoker1 »

nsomniac wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:35 am So I have found that my Vizio M3D550SL 55in 3D TV will work with every file I have tried so far. Divx, Xvid, H.264, H.265, MPEG-1-4, AVI, MKV, everything so far, using this setup.

UserAgentSearch = IPI/1.0 UPnP/1.0 DLNADOC/1.50|GUPnP/0.12.8 UPnP/1.0 DLNADOC/1.50
UpnpDetailsSearch = Vizio
LoadingPriority = 1

SeekByTime = true
TranscodeVideo = MP4-H264-AC3
DLNALocalizationRequired = true
WrapDTSIntoPCM = true
TranscodeFastStart = true
KeepAspectRatio = true
HalveBitrate = true
MediaInfo = true

# Supported video formats:
Supported = f:mpegps|mpegts v:mpeg1|mpeg2|mp4|h264 a:ac3|lpcm|aac-lc|mpa m:video/mp4

# Supported audio formats:
Supported = f:atrac n:2 m:audio/x-oma
Supported = f:mp3 n:2 m:audio/mpeg
Supported = f:wav n:2 s:48000 m:audio/L16
Supported = f:wav n:6 a:dts|lpcm s:48000 m:audio/L16

I Hope this helps all of you people. I have screwed with this for months, and recently my cable box blew and took out all but one hdmi on my tv, so i no longer have the ability to switch to my pc display easily. So what did I do, I broke out the UMS again and got it working. YAY

Edit 10-14-2017
Hey, Just an Update. This even works with 4k streaming :) Am Watching Guardians of the Galaxy 2 in 4k.. well sort of considering my tv is only 1080p.. but it still looks better than a 'normal' 1080p stream. also while most people from what i have read dont like the smooth motion 120fps filter, I love it for everything short of playing games, which this tv is not particularly suited for, paired with 4k video it is TRULY amazing.
UMS Version 6.7.4
windows 10 x64 pro
i7-2600(non-k) @ 4.25GHZ
ASUS Maximus V Formula
16 GB 1333 G.Skill Assassin mem
Samsung 950 evo 500gb ssd main
3x Hitachi 3TB hdd
Hitachi 2tb
GTX 970

Edit 10-27-2017
I have also tested this on a friends television, a Sharp (Which Shows up as Samsung E series) and a handful of other devices, this seems to load way faster across the board. it seemed like when looking thorough the running processes the setting of TranscodeVideo = MPEGTS-H264-AC3 and m:video/mpegts was getting transcoded 2x before the program attempted to pipe it to the tv, after changing the two settings to MP4-H264-AC3 and m:video/mp4 respectively I got an extreme improvement in loading speed not only in the menus but also the videos I have FFMpeg as the Default transcoder, i have tried others, this is compatible with EVERYTHING i have thrown at it on everything i have tested. Maybe eventually I will also go through and clean up everything that isn't needed from the config though at the moment it works great. the only problems i have found is that repeated start/stop will crash and power off the tv. also sometimes the menus fail to advance/will get stuck, and the tv must be turned off and back on to clear the internal memory, this only happens when browsing folders that are newly added and not previously opened from the television. I believe both of these problems are due to the poor choice of an extremely low powered atom Cpu to run the majority of the 'smart' (barely) AND 3D function of the TV. Happy days people..
How did you get your TV Connected to UMS??????? Got a Vizio D43-F1, and I can not find a way to do it.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Is the TV on the same network and is UMS using the correct network interface? You can force the interface in the settings.