Android

Discuss media renderers like Xbox 360, TVs, smartphones, etc.
GanJi

Android

Post by GanJi »

Hello.
I am running UMNS 2.2.2 (will upgrade to latest tomorrow).
I have an Android device - Uhost2 - and would like to use it as a media center. I setup UMS under Debian and it runs pretty well. I am able to stream MP4 files using BubbleUPnP.
But, it only serves direct streams - videos that Android can natively play, like certain MP4 and FLV. If I have a MKV or MP4 with subtitles there comes an error "Cannot play this file". The debug log on the server has no errors - it shows that the file is transcoded by mencoder and that the playback starts and stops.

Maybe mencoder encodes the file to a format that Android cannot play. Any advice on how to configure the encoder or Android.conf?

I also setup PMS for Windows as a test - it has the same behavior.
ExSport

Re: Android

Post by ExSport »

Code: Select all

StreamExtensions=mkv,hdmov,hdm,flac,fla,dts,ogg,asf,asx,m2v,mp4,mpg,mpeg,avi,mov,wmv,ts,m2ts,mts
ChunkedTransfer=true
For transcoding, second line have to be present in Android.conf file (latest verstion should already have it).
About the first line: Why to transcode MKV? You can stream them natively also with embedded subs. External players like MX Player, BS Player, VPlayer supports them natively so add them to conf file.
GanJi

Post by GanJi »

If I only stream the subtitles do not stream with the file. For example, TV episodes from eztv.it with external subs.
The conf. file does have the Chunked line, I installed 2.2.4 yesterday - no change there - MKV streams fine, embedded subtitles in them work, but when there should be transcoding for external subs - Video cannot be played.

Update:
Same result with 2.2.5 and also tried with Windows version.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Hi GanJi, please post your debug info :)
GanJi

Post by GanJi »

Here's the log from the Windows version of the server where I try to play a file with subtitles and one without using BubbleUpnP.
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(17.69 KiB) Downloaded 674 times
GanJi

Post by GanJi »

Updated to latest version - still no luck.
MKV files with embedded subtitles work. Files with external subs - no.
Attached is the file where I attempt to play some files, including the MKV that works.

Also tried with a Samsung Galaxy S3 - exact same behavior.
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(26.39 KiB) Downloaded 678 times
mwneuendorf

Post by mwneuendorf »

On a side note, what is the reason you can't transcode the video_ts folder for android? Is there a limitation with being able transcode the mpeg2 to h264? just wondering if there's any hope for the future....
acrespo

Post by acrespo »

I have a similar problem. I can play videos with external SRT subtitles on PS3 but the same video don't show the subtitles played by my Samsung Galaxy S3, video and audio are OK. I am using the same app for DLNA client (BubbleUpnp).
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

When played on PS3, your file is not defined in streamedextensions so file is transcoded to support subs.
Android supports all file formats via defining them as stremedextensions. It means transcoding is not forced.
If subs are embedded, MXPlayer and other players see the subs but NOT THE EXTERNAL ones. Externals can be loaded via TRANSCODE folder but CPU/bandwidth can be too much for your PC/Android/WiFi.
eleked

Post by eleked »

Any update on this?
I am having the same problem with my Xperia Z (Android 4.1.2).

However if ffmpeg is used for transcoding, it managed to play it, but stopped/quit at the very first second.
It is like the phone itself doesn't know when to stop/quit playing the video.
My Panasonic TV works well though.