Version 3.0.0-b1 is released

Announcements about Universal Media Server
User avatar
SubJunk
Lead Developer
Posts: 2831
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 4:12 pm

Version 3.0.0-b1 is released

Post by SubJunk » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:09 am

General:

This adds advanced monitoring to directories, which creates the "Recently Played" and "New Media" folders, improves video compatibility, fixes several bugs and more!
We are getting very close to the final release of 3.0.0 and this is probably already more stable than the 2.x releases, so you are encouraged to use it.


Download:

Windows
Linux
OS X


Changes since 3.0.0-a5:
  • General:
    • Added the New Media folder, which contains unwatched media
    • Added the Recently Played folder, which contains watched media
    • Added checkboxes to enable/disable renderers
    • Enabled support for cover files in virtual folders (thanks, D-Kalck!)
    • A more helpful error is displayed when something is using the UMS HTTP port
    • Improved calculation of subtitle font size in FFmpeg
    • Expanded filename prettifying
    • Made some custom MEncoder options safer to use
    • Improved file compatibility for mod2 videos
    • Fixed and improved support for virtual folders
    • Fixed conflicts between some renderer config options
    • Fixed tsMuxeR video detection bug
    • Fixed x264 transcoding with MEncoder
    • Fixed a rare startup bug
    • Fixed FFmpeg subtitles bug
    • Fixed a general subtitles bug (thanks, Skeptical!)
    • Fixed several minor bugs
    • Fixed plugin compatibility problems
  • Renderers:
    • Improved DirecTV support
    • Updated DirecTV image
    • Improved PS3 support
    • Enabled text-wrapping for long names on Sony Blu-ray players
  • External Components:
    • Updated H2 Database Engine to 1.3.173
    • Updated Maven Cobertura Plugin to 2.6
    • Updated Maven Doxia Docbook Simple Plugin to 1.4
    • Updated Maven Git Commit ID Plugin to 2.1.5, which:
      • Improves stability
    • Updated Maven IDEA Plugin to 2.2.1
    • Updated Maven Javadoc Plugin to 2.9.1, which:
      • Makes it more threadsafe
      • Improves security
    • Updated Maven Surefire Plugin to 2.16, which:
      • Fixes problems with character encodings

Upgrade Notes:

For all versions:
Some configuration options for 3.x are not compatible with the 2.x releases, and a lot of them were renamed between 3.0.0-a1 and 3.0.0-a2, so it may be wise to make a backup of your configuration before installing.
It is recommended (but usually not necessary) to delete your UMS.conf file prior to installing this version. Windows users can choose the "clean install" option while installing instead.

rafi
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:46 pm

Re: Version 3.0.0-b1 is released

Post by rafi » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:47 pm

No files are visible with this release (Win7/X86) LG-TV. Only directories.
Is there any configuration that I'm missing?
(upgraded from 2.x, using "clean install")

Edit:
OK, got it. "clear install" does not work. Had to delete the whole 2.x path...
Last edited by rafi on Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
SubJunk
Lead Developer
Posts: 2831
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 4:12 pm

Re: Version 3.0.0-b1 is released

Post by SubJunk » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:40 pm

rafi wrote:No files are visible with this release (Win7/X86) LG-TV. Only directories.
Is there any configuration that I'm missing?
(upgraded from 2.x, using "clean install")
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=556 :)

rafi
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:46 pm

Re: Version 3.0.0-b1 is released

Post by rafi » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:21 pm

Forget it... See above... ;)

Edit:
The TV is not displaying smoothly. stops every few second to buffer(?).
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1fLVXA ... sp=sharing

Size ...............: 15.5 GB
Video ..............: 1920x1080
Bitrate ............: ~13800 kbps (x264 L4.1)
Audio 1.............: English DTS 5.1 Ch 1510 kbps
Chapters............: Yes
Source .............: 1080p Blu-Ray 3D AVC DTS-HD MA 7.1-PublicHD

Over 100Mb LAN.

ExSport
Posts: 596
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:57 am

Re: Version 3.0.0-b1 is released

Post by ExSport » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:02 am

Great work!
Some thoughts:
  • Enabled text-wrapping for long names on Sony Blu-ray players - People should know that it should work also for other renderers ;)
  • added advanced monitoring to directories, which creates the "Recently Played" and "New Media" folders - Quick test showed me that for "Recently Played" folder visible it is not needed to enable "advanced monitoring" but it is required for "New Media"
  • Not tested deeply (don't know what my father did, what played, how it played) but next day when I checked "Recently Played" folder I saw some movies were displayed more times. Does it mean when I will play e.g. "Spiderman.mkv" 3x it will create 3 copies of this title in "Recently Played"? Will try to test it later more deeply with this officially released version
  • When you will update tsMuxeR binary? (I know there is no new version for Linux/Mac and that bugfixes will be mostly added in version after ISO will be finished but I suppose it is better than the old one)

Wolfgan
Posts: 371
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:33 am

Re: Version 3.0.0-b1 is released

Post by Wolfgan » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:01 am

Thanks for the release! Testing it now...
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )

User avatar
DeFlanko
Moderator
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:43 am
Location: San Pedro, CA
Contact:

Re: Version 3.0.0-b1 is released

Post by DeFlanko » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:46 am

For the past few weeks i've actively running UMSBuilder and being on these nightly builds you lose sight of what's new.

I love these new features. Its amazing how much has changed!

AuthenticM
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:49 pm

Re: Version 3.0.0-b1 is released

Post by AuthenticM » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:33 am

Seems to work fine, except for the part where it can't display the video length.

hannubys
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:27 am

Re: Version 3.0.0-b1 is released

Post by hannubys » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:44 am

Hi,
I think you can add in the wizard an option to enable GPU.

Also, i'm using the Shark007 Standard Codec with the recommended settings. Is it okay to use it ?

User avatar
SubJunk
Lead Developer
Posts: 2831
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 4:12 pm

Re: Version 3.0.0-b1 is released

Post by SubJunk » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:16 am

rafi wrote:"clear install" does not work. Had to delete the whole 2.x path...
In the next release I've made Clean Install remove the program directory too.
rafi wrote:The TV is not displaying smoothly. stops every few second to buffer(?).
Can you please try 3.0.0-a3 and 3.0.0-a5 and let me know if it happens with either of them?
ExSport wrote:Great work!
Thanks :)
ExSport wrote:Enabled text-wrapping for long names on Sony Blu-ray players - People should know that it should work also for other renderers ;)
The feature description is in PS3.conf so people can see it and how to use it :)
ExSport wrote:added advanced monitoring to directories, which creates the "Recently Played" and "New Media" folders - Quick test showed me that for "Recently Played" folder visible it is not needed to enable "advanced monitoring" but it is required for "New Media"
Yeah I think that's right
ExSport wrote:Not tested deeply (don't know what my father did, what played, how it played) but next day when I checked "Recently Played" folder I saw some movies were displayed more times. Does it mean when I will play e.g. "Spiderman.mkv" 3x it will create 3 copies of this title in "Recently Played"? Will try to test it later more deeply with this officially released version
Yeah we can iron it out a bit more :)
ExSport wrote:When you will update tsMuxeR binary? (I know there is no new version for Linux/Mac and that bugfixes will be mostly added in version after ISO will be finished but I suppose it is better than the old one)
I'll update it when the bugs it introduced are fixed. Physic is working on them.

Thanks for the testing and feedback, ExSport!
Wolfgan wrote:Thanks for the release! Testing it now...
Thanks Wolfgan :D
DeFlanko wrote:For the past few weeks i've actively running UMSBuilder and being on these nightly builds you lose sight of what's new.

I love these new features. Its amazing how much has changed!
Thanks DeFlanko, it is amazing for me too and thanks for your contributions :)
AuthenticM wrote:Seems to work fine, except for the part where it can't display the video length.
Feel free to open a thread for that, since video length works for me :)
hannubys wrote:I think you can add in the wizard an option to enable GPU.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll discuss it with the others. It's not a feature I use personally so will have to test it. I think some engines use GPU by default anyway, like VLC.
hannubys wrote:Also, i'm using the Shark007 Standard Codec with the recommended settings. Is it okay to use it ?
Our engines don't use codecs except for the AviSynth ones, so it won't affect the program if you have them installed or not :)

Post Reply